Check Fuel Cap/Check Engine light on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Fuel Cap/Check Engine light on

stacey

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi,

I have a 2000 Ford Sport Explorer with ~80,000 miles. My Check Fuel Cap light came on a few days ago and I checked to make sure it was on properly. Everything looks fine so I decided to call the service person at the dealership. He told me to drive it for about a week and the light should go away. Well the following day the check engine light came on as well. It's been about 3 days of driving with the check fuel light on and 2 days of driving with the check engine light on. I was wondering if these two lights are related and what am I suppose to do to fix this problem? Should I wait a few more days to see if the light goes away. It's going to cost $200 just to get a diagnosis at the dealership plus however more my problems cost. I'd appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,
Stacey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Autozone will read the codes for you for free.

heh, gotta love the cars that can supposedly tell if your cap is on or off. Its just a big money maker in the end.

I would get the codes at auto zone, its free.

Secondly if it is the gas tank thing, a seal could have done bad. If it serves me correct it tell if you have the cap on or not if the tank can keep the pressure. If a seal is broken on the gas cap... it can lose the pressure. Kinda funny if you ask me. small rubber ring should not cost 200 bucks to figure out whats going on (had this happen on a ford contour. Had the check engine light come on, went to auto zone. Found out it was the gas cap. I was able to get the ruber ring for 38 cents. Had I gone to the dealership it would have been 150 for a code chack, and knowing them 100 for a new gas cap). I hate dealerships ;)

But do check the code out, it may not be the gas cap... may be two seperate issues.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, the bay area does not have an autozone.
I checked my rubber ring just now and it looks okay to me. But in most cases, would you say the rubber ring is the problem? Maybe I should just have that replaced? How easy do you think it is if I did it myself?

stacey

In the past the guys on here would usually suggest that you unhook the battery to reset and clear the codes. what I dont know is if you would lose the check code in the process. I would still want to find out why the cel was triggered.

Btw when unhooking the battery cable leave it off for a few minutes before reconnecting. I suppose if you have and existing problem then lights will come back but if not, you are good to go.

Let me know if the promblem is fixed.

This happened on my parents' X (heh might even be the oe i have now) After resetting the computer by unhooking the battery, if the lights come back, try replacig the gas cap. Thats what my 'rents did and it fixed the problem.

I haven't tried resetting the battery yet but I'll give it a try.

My lights are all gone! I unhooked the battery for about 5 minutes. Then I started the car and the lights are not there anymore. I haven't driven it yet since I'm at work but I guess I'll find out in a few days if the lights actually stay off. Thanks for the help!

stacey said:
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, the bay area does not have an autozone.

There is an Autozone in Millbrae, San Mateo, San Jose, Santa Clara, etc. Just go to their website and plug in your zip code to get the address of the store closest to you. Whether they actually check the codes for you for free or at all, in the Bay Area is another story. I certainly would call them first to confirm.

Good luck

I think they do not read codes in CA cuz someone said they needed a BAR (Bureau of Auto Repair) license to do that... I may be wrong, someone please correct me. I can only say this, that problem is NOT a driveability issue and until SMOG check time you are perfectly ok to drive it.

Wow, I didn't realize there were so many autozones in the bay area. I've never seen one so I assumed there wasn't any here. But you're right, they're everywhere.

It's been about a month since I resetted my battery. Well, my check fuel cap light just came on again yesterday. Should my next step be to replace my gas cap or do you think there's something wrong with my car?

Replace the cap, dont think anything else is wrong.

AYou need to discharge the battery for 2 hours inorder to clear the codes completely.Another way is to disconnect the battery and hold the brake for 1 min.It will discharge the computer faster.Just change the cap.I had the same problem and the cap was the problem.The seal maybe look good but it may still leak.The seal on mine looked ok but it was a little sponge.It seeped enough to set of the check engine light.Let us know how it works out.

caveman1 said:
AYou need to discharge the battery for 2 hours inorder to clear the codes completely.Another way is to disconnect the battery and hold the brake for 1 min.It will discharge the computer faster.Just change the cap.I had the same problem and the cap was the problem.The seal maybe look good but it may still leak.The seal on mine looked ok but it was a little sponge.It seeped enough to set of the check engine light.Let us know how it works out.
Where are you getting this info from?

Ok, I know this is an old post but I'm having a similar issue with my 2000 Explorer. I have the gas cap & check engine light on as well. I have replaced the gas cap and the light will stay on. The truck was/is harder to start when it colder outside. I ended up replacing my fuel pump (due to it being faulty) Lights stayed off for a while after codes cleared (o2 sensors running lean) & now lights are back on 7 once it gets below 40 deg. outside truck will start but will sputter a bit when starting. Any ideas?
Thanks.

You can also have a cracked filler neck that will exhibit the same problems as a bad cap. It can be hard to find, but it's happened many times, there are some pics here: CLICK

Back