"Chips" Ignition Keys Available! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Chips" Ignition Keys Available!

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
The ad shown appeared in the St. Louis newspaper. Evidently, astute locksmiths will be acquiring the gear needed to duplicate "PATS" keys, and probably even re-code PCMs. Hopefully, this competition with Dealerships will come at a lower cost..............imp

img07510.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've seen that several times and always near larger cities. The last quote I rec'd was $60 for 1 key which is still too expensive for a key imo.

I've seen that several times and always near larger cities. The last quote I rec'd was $60 for 1 key which is still too expensive for a key imo.

Of course, you're right there......but consider the poop on these keys now: you get 2 with the vehicle when it's new. If you lose 1, you CAN'T program any new ones yourself (must have BOTH to do that). Take the 1 you have left to Ford, I hear they charge a couple hundred bucks to duplicate........if that's true, the locksmith is still the better way to go.

Now if BOTH keys get lost, busted, whatever, we really got ourselves over a barrel............imp

Of course, you're right there......but consider the poop on these keys now: you get 2 with the vehicle when it's new. If you lose 1, you CAN'T program any new ones yourself (must have BOTH to do that). Take the 1 you have left to Ford, I hear they charge a couple hundred bucks to duplicate........if that's true, the locksmith is still the better way to go.

Now if BOTH keys get lost, busted, whatever, we really got ourselves over a barrel............imp

You're right I never thought about it that way I had friends at the dealership and they were willing to make me a key for $60. I really didn't realize how great of a deal they gave me untill now. Plus we didn't have any locksmiths that could do this within a hundred mile radius of where I used to live.

Back