Code P1151 on my my new for me explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Code P1151 on my my new for me explorer.

reflex26

Reaction score
City, State
Deposit,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
My daughter and son-in-law just bought me a nice 1999 ex. to replace my 1996 ex,which was about dead.Anyway it has a P1151 code which I have to correct to get it inspected. My son-in-law says the guy he bought it from said it needed some sensor under the airbox replaced to correct the code.From my search here code p1151 means O2 sensor on the driver's side upstream.Is there any sensor under the airbox that will throw a code p1151? Any help steering me in right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

o2 code is an o2 code. I'd just replace the sensor.

Be wary of replacing the sensor. It's just the messenger after all. The sensor is just telling you it's reading a faulty reading. Doesn't mean the sensor is bad.

I speak from experience (last summer). Replacing the sensor did nothing. The issue ended up being an improperly seated PCV I think. Took me a month or so to troubleshoot that problem.

Thanks for the replies.I think my approach will be to check wires,vacuum lines,pcv on my way to the O2 sensor.I'm inclined to believe my scanner more than the previous owner.It just threw me off because the O2 sensor is on the driver's side and the airbox is on the passenger side.Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies.I think my approach will be to check wires,vacuum lines,pcv on my way to the O2 sensor.I'm inclined to believe my scanner more than the previous owner.It just threw me off because the O2 sensor is on the driver's side and the airbox is on the passenger side.Thanks again.

I've had mixed experience with PO's. One told me the cv joint and hub assembly on the wrong side were bad, another one told me exactly what needed to be replaced and was spot on.

I used this source to help me troubleshoot my P1151 code.

Back