complete engine and electrical shut down while driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

complete engine and electrical shut down while driving

psu x

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 EB
On two occasions, my 2004 EB completely shut down while my wife was driving at about 70mph. She said everything died (engine, instrument cluster, etc.) and had to pull off the road and stop. It was almost as if you instantly shut off the ignition AND disconnected the battery. After coasting to a stop, she keyed off the engine then it restarted fine on both occasions. (Yes, this is a vehicle, not a PC)

Any thoughts?

I have had numerous electrical issues with this vehicle over the years. The dealer had to replace the entire computer because it was kicking in and out of 4wd by itself. The RSS is currently stuck in the OFF position and wont turn back on. The 6 disc CD changer constantly shuffles discs and sometimes only the sub comes on by itself. The drivers side heated seat will not turn off (I pulled the fuse for the summer). No problem listed on carfax, but it almost seems like this thing was flooded.

Exact same problem. What was the solution?

Explorer shuts down unexpectedly

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gifMy 2005 explorer Eddie Bauer shut down while driving twice last year.
Scary! Almost in accidents. It happened again this week after half a year. Scary again.
Gauges, power, brakes, steering---nothing worked. Otherwise, SUV runs fine. When it shuts down, it will start up again after a few minutes. At the Ford garage, I spent almost a thousand dollars having things checked out...nothing was found. This is too dangerous to trust yourself or family members, especially on freeways or busy areas....death is imminent! The only clue I have is that the gauge reads "Oil level low", but the mechanics checked the oil and it was fine. Any ideas?

Back