Coolant Flush and Bleeding

JoshMcMadMac

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Waynesboro, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
I flushed the coolant on my '02 4.6L. I used the radiator drain and refilled at the reservoir on the passenger side. I am having difficulty getting the system to bleed off...the heater will not blow warm. Is there a bleeder somewhere in the system I am not seeing, or a suggested procedure to get all of the air out? The temp gauge is reading fine, with no blips, but obviously the lack of heat alludes to an issue.

In case anyone is interested, I drove it to work today. The heat now blows hot, so I can only assume that the system "burped" itself accordingly with usage. No temperature spikes, and a small top-off of the reservoir to get the level back up. That is all there is to it!

I did my motor swap a week back and I drove the car 3 times and the system was finally completly burped. It just seemed to digest a ton of anti-freeze. It didnt seem like that much came out when I drained it. It also helpes if you lift the front end up as high as possible to get the air out.(Learned that thanks to one of the guys on the site- THANKS)

Back