• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leaking from ????

Jkrew

Reaction score
City, State
Waialua, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
Howzit! I have a 94 explorer that was leaking crazy amounts of coolant. When I took it to the shop, of course the leaking stopped. The mechanic said it was possibly the "intake cooling gasket." Took it to another guy, did a pressure test on it for a long time, and came up with nothing. Now, i'm staring to leak a little, and not only can I smell the coolant, but there is a wierd hissing noise coming from behind the fan. Could not see too well because it just started to make this noise and it's dark, plus I have a craptastick flashlight. Any thoughts would be a big big help.

Aloha

-Squishy in Hawaii

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cooling intake..

The pressure test was run for at least 2 hrs when the guy looked at it. I took it to the shop Wed. and I got a call today saying it was indeed the cooling intake that needed to be replaced. How complex of a job is it?

-j

This is a dumb question, but have you crawled under the truck to look for the leak? Coolant is green when it's wet, but white when it dries.

Jkrew said:
The pressure test was run for at least 2 hrs when the guy looked at it. I took it to the shop Wed. and I got a call today saying it was indeed the cooling intake that needed to be replaced. How complex of a job is it?

-j

I'd say it's fairly complex. A little involved for the do-it-yourselfer, but if you've done it a few times not too bad.

They mean the lower intake manifold gasket. It can be done by a shade tree mechanic, but it is a (weekend killer) 2-day job if you take your time and are slow like me.

What is time-consuming about is removing all of the top things to get TO the gasket itself. It's one of those jobs, where you have to do 100 things just to change a cheap little $2 gasket.

Back