Coolant Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant Questions

eddie95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.8 AWD
I tried to find the answer in previous threads but i didnt find one that really answered my questions.

I have a 1995 explorer 4.0 OHV and it has 123000 on it. I decided its probably due to have the coolant changed. I see the drain plug on the radiator and i know that will get a lot of the coolant out but not all of it. IS THERE A DRAIN PLUG ON THE ENGINE BLOCK??? I have read countless answers to this. Some say yes, some say no. Also, is it true that the only "burping" required is running the engine for a while with the radiator cap and overflow cap off, then refilling and repeating?

I also have no real interest in flushing the system as i believe that it kind of screws up the 50/50 mix ratio of coolant and distilled water.

Thanks,
Ben

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is no "drain" on the block, you just have to drain what is in the radiator. I have however flushed mine by removing the thermostat and running water through the system a couple of times, then install thermostat and change coolant twice using a hydrometer to monitor coolant to water percentage. And yes you have to "burp" the cooling system after changing coolant. Run engine with the radiator cap off until the thermostat open, install cap and top off reservoir. At that low of mileage I would not worry about a flush and just change what is in the radiator. good luck

You can drain most of the block by removing the water pump (4 bolts). A flush is a good idea, as is replacing the hoses, thermostat and radiator cap. When I did mine, no burping was required.

last time i checked the water pump on an ohv is a lot more than 4 bolts...

I changed mine just last week. I had the truck parked pointed downhill, driveway about 2% slope. Drain, partial fill, drain, partial fill, drain with bottom hose off. Turn truck around so it is pointed uphill, fill with 1 gallon antifreeze and 1 gallon bottled drinking water. Top off with 50/50 mix, run engine, cool, top off, and fill reservoir to just above full cold mark. However, I just went out and checked the coolant and guess what, only goes to -7. So I'll be draining the radiator down and adding plain anti freeze. Owners manual says it should take 8.6 quarts, should have known better, when I drained it it drained out more than that. What the Hell was I thinking? and this ain't my first rodeo either. Moral? BEWARE of what you're doing and double check yourself.

Back