Coolant Temp Gauge Not Working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant Temp Gauge Not Working

DavidB82

Reaction score
Hello, I'm helping a friend fix their 2000 Explorer 4.0L OHV. The problem is that the temperature gauge sits below "C" whether or not the engine is warmed up. So, I searched around on this site and found the location of the Temp Sender (the sensor in near the thermostat with one 1 wire). I did the test of grounding the wire to see if the gauge works and it does. Straight to ground puts it pegged above "H" and putting a 100 ohm resistor in line puts the gauge somewhere in the middle.

So, I figured it must be the sender. I got a new one and put it in. Unfortunately, the needle still sits below "C". I let it warm up some to where the radiator hose was warm and the needle still hadn't moved.

I tested the resistance through the temp sender connector prong to the brass body and got about 2500 ohms. Given that 100 ohms put the needle in the middle I was wondering if the new temp sender might be bad? Does anyone have a chart/table of the resistance of the temp sender resistance vs temp?

If anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears.

Thanks,
David

how warm does the heater blow if you turn it all the way up? The issue could be a thermostat that is stuck open. My mountie had a similar problem, the temp gauge seldom went above C and my heater never blew more than slightly warm air. Replaced the thermostat and now the gauge goes to where it should and I get nice hot air.

Back