• Register Today It's free!

Cross bar placement

fordup

Reaction score
City, State
bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 eb
Does anyone know the best location to set the crossbars for a roof top carrier? I have a large clamshell type carrier to put on my 2006 EB 4.6 with moon roof. Mostly concerned for best structural and aerodynamics.
Thanks

Does anyone know the best location to set the crossbars for a roof top carrier? I have a large clamshell type carrier to put on my 2006 EB 4.6 with moon roof. Mostly concerned for best structural and aerodynamics.
Thanks

Aerodynamically speaking, my cross bar installation pamphlet says the front cross bar should be 30 inches +-4 inches back from the leading edge of the front rail bases. And the rear cross bar should be 16 inches +-4 inches forward from the trailing edge of the rear rail bases.

Of course, it all depends on what your carrier will accept, its length, and whether the suggested position interferes with your moon roof or tailgate operation.

For aesthetic reasons, I just put mine at the maximum forward and maximum rearward positions. And I haven't noticed any wind noise as others have reported.

Chris

Back