rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
Just curious, are D44 front brakes larger then D35 as far as the surface area of the pads? I would think this would equate to better stopping if so. Or maybe the rotors and calipers are larger also?
I have D35 but going D44.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The caliper/pad is bigger. I cant recall if the rotor is larger diameter, but it is thicker.

Calipers differ from D44 to D44 too. Ford for example has a two piston design with two small piston where as Chevy has a single piston design with one large piston.

Thanks guys, learned some more stuff today.
BTW, the one I'm going to swap in does have the one piston. It was off a 79 F150 and had the 5 on 135 mm bolt pattern and HP. Where as also it had the .500" tubes, talk about a pain to grind passanger side knuckle off.

The calipers, pads and rotors are all bigger on the D44.
This is the D44's primary strength advantage over the D35 (also good locking hubs are a bit cheaper to come by).

The calipers, pads and rotors are all bigger on the D44.
This is the D44's primary strength advantage over the D35 (also good locking hubs are a bit cheaper to come by).

That's what I was hoping. Once I have the swap complete, coupled with the larger 97 X Booster and master cylinder and swapping in a rear 8.8 last year with discs that I have in my B2, stopping should be greatly improved. :thumbsup:
That was going to be my next question regarding hubs. It has stock manual hubs now. Are they known to be junk?
The axle is a 97 F150.

The stock lockouts are strong, some say stronger than the Warns/Milemarkers

The stock lockouts are strong, some say stronger than the Warns/Milemarkers

Nothing but good news here :) Don't need anymore parts to add to the list of parts to buy for this swap.

That sure showed the difference allright. Thanks for posting.

Back