delayed shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

delayed shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Eddie Bauer
Hello

My explorer has transmission issues. It won't shift in to third gear without it being at 3500 RPM then it shifts fine. I doesn't this when shifting in any gear except 3rd. It didn't this at all the day before. Just now. I had the transmission fluid changed 10,000 miles ago and the modulator has been replaced. I don't know what this is. Any ideas?? Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

update

Now when you drive it, it starts out in 2 gear instead of first and still does the same thing i mentioned earlier but you can still shift it to first manually. I am starting to think the modulator. Maybe it is the modulator and the mechanic didn't replace it. Help would be much appreciated.

i assume youve checked the fluid level?

it could be the modulator ,some aftermarket ones are actually adjustable (Cheap) and they can get messed up and you said it was recently replaced. I would have a trans uy look and make sure its the correct part and when they changed the fluid if anything in the valve body didnt get moved or blocked with dirt.

When i first bought the car, i had all the fluids changed including the transmission fluid. Never had any problems with the tranny until the modulator failed. Had it replaced lasted 2,000 miles then it messed up again. I am taking it the mechanic Sunday, but do u think it would be safe to drive it till then? Cause the last think i need is a blown tranny.

I have the same issue on my ST when going from 2nd to 3rd. It doesn't do it every time tho. It only has 59k on.

It should be fine to drive on. The engine might not like it, and your gas millage will suck but you should be ok

I think i'm gonna convert it to a 5 speed cause they are more relaible than the automatics When i have time :)

Hello

My explorer has transmission issues. It won't shift in to third gear without it being at 3500 RPM then it shifts fine. I doesn't this when shifting in any gear except 3rd. It didn't this at all the day before. Just now. I had the transmission fluid changed 10,000 miles ago and the modulator has been replaced. I don't know what this is. Any ideas?? Thanks!!!

If it's starting out in second, I would change the governor. Mine did that exact same thing before I replaced that. I did end up doing the 5-speed swap for other reasons, though! Good luck with it, and let us know what you find!

Back