Did I get the correct oil drain plug ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Did I get the correct oil drain plug ?

davem

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
My drain plug gasket had been deteriorating, so I knew it was just a matter of time .............. Well, during my oil change yesterday, it basically came apart. My local dealer did not sell the gasket alone, so ended up buying a new drain plug which included the gasket.

After much confusion in the parts dept, they ended up selling me a

F75Z6730BA

It looked basically the same (same threads, length, diameter,etc) except for the bolt head sizing being a little bigger (which is not an issue). It threaded in fine and I dont see any leaks yet ........... but I did some checking - looks like I should have gotten a

F6TZ6730BA

for my 2001 XLT 4.0 V6 SOHC.

Did they give me the wrong drain plug ? Or are they compatible ? A few ebay searches give me the impression that the plug I got is NOT compatible ?

If it screws in and doesn't leak, I'd say it doesn't matter. It's an 14M - 1.50. You probably could have just replaced the O-ring on your original drain plug at the hardware store for about a buck or less. There's nothing special about it.

Back