Died While Driving, But Comes Back to Life | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Died While Driving, But Comes Back to Life

hozer2

Reaction score
A couple months ago, my 98 Explorer (old I know) would not start. I came back a few hours later and it started no problem and ran fine.

Then a couple of days ago it just died while driving and would not start again. The engine turns over, but it sounds like it is not getting fuel. When the tow truck came, it actually started a couple hours later, but we towed it anyway.

Now it is behaving oddly. It runs great, then it just dies out of nowhere. It always turns over though. My though it is maybe a fuel pump dying, bad fuel filter, or relay? Why would it start back up if you come back to it an hour later?

One other odd option is the passenger side kick panel. Could there be something electric there that could get messed up? I put some boxes there and that was the first time it gave me an issue. Wondering if it hit something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's possible it's a fuel issue, anything from debris in the fuel tank, a fuel pump filter sock that is caked with rust, a clogging fuel filter, or even a loss of fuel pressure can cause sudden stalling, then allow it to restart when the clog has lessened or moved.

It could be electrical as well though. The ECU/ECM unit that controls the engine is located in the passenger side kick panel. If it was damaged psysically, or was exposed to strong magnetic fields or some other kind of harmful force, it definitely can cause erratic performance.

If you do determine it's the ECU/ECM, you can buy one on here from someone parting out their same year Explorer with the same engine in the For Sale forum for a lot less than a parts store or the dealer, or even most salvage yards.

Thank for the tips. I am kind of at the point where I am not sure if it is worth it to repair or not. Maybe the fuel filter would be worth a shot if it is easy to replace. Everything else seems like it would be a lot of money or work.

Also, I noticed intermittent hesitation when accelerating. It all seems like it is randomly having trouble getting fuel to the injectors.

P.S. Where does one get a fuel filter removal tool that appears to be needed?

The fuel pressure shut off switch is located on the passenger side lower firewall just about where your toes would end up sitting there. Pull back the carpet and make sure the connection is good. Passenger knocked it loose once with their feet. Maybe you box hit it.

EE

agreed with ernie, except afterward I would reset the computer if it's been going on for a few weeks.

Back