• Register Today It's free!

Don't lose your key in NH !

OursBlanc

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Ford Explorer Ltd
Hi guys, this may start as a rant ... but this is more like a warning to anyone looking to replace a lost key for a '03 Explorer in or around Manchester,NH.

1/ I read many posts here about keys, and ordered a pair of keys and a fob off Ebay : cheap - $19.99 free post.

2/ I went to home depot to get it cut. Answer is NO, we don't cut the keys that were bought elsewhere... Thanks...

3/ Went to Walmart to get the key cut ... man was willing to do this, but the key did not fit any of the guides he had ... Are explorer's becoming so RARE these days ?

4/ Ended in a mom&pop hardware store, the guy first made a attempt to sell me one of his $60 key cut and programmed.. but asking again with a big smile he finally cut it for $5 each ..

5/ a trip to the stealership, I was given the "no room for appointments today" speech .. I managed to at least get the price for programming a key :
$35 each ... I'm hoping they will still be able to program it when they find out that it's not a OEM key ...

Counting the petrol to get from shop to shop, looking for places, etc.. It adds up in petrol and time.. How much more this key is going to cost.???

So, well, Advice to Ex owners around Manch,NH... DONT lose you key!!
and.. please... when it comes to selling the car, give both of them to the dealer on one ring... so the next owner, like me, won't have to go through all this for the peace of mind of not being locked out of the car if he loses one key!

:exp:

well... at least you have informed us that the cheap man's solution is extremely cumbersome to get by. Straight from dealer is key :)

yep.. some say that the dealer solution is the most expensive.. but sometimes the cheap ain't the best ^^

been to the dealership yesterday, computer was broken, they couldn't do it.. next try friday ... It's funny how little things can take a huge amount of time to get sorted sometimes :)

Back