Door Handle LED | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door Handle LED

They wouldn't work, but if you want those kinds of things, you can always modify your existing handles.

Get yourself a pair of extra handles from the salvage yard.

Buy a dremel tool and the router standoff for the dremel.

Buy an LED strip

Measure your LED strip and mark the handle for the area you will be cutting.

Use the dremel with the router standoff and a small cutting bit to cut along the edges of the area you marked about as deep as your LED strip is tall.

Then go to a larger cutting bit, and cut out all the material in between your cuts.

using a drill bit, drill a hole through the handle to route the wires so they won't be visible.

Feed the wires from the LED strip through the hole and glue or epoxy in the strip.

on the other side, you may want to use some type of clear epoxy to cover the strip and blend it into the handle so it feels smooth and you don't have that small ridge between the handle and the strip where the two meet. Making a lens is an even nicer touch. You can buy clear casting resin and tint it, then pour it into a mold you can make.

Wire your LED strips into whatever light source you want to use.

I've done similar things to mirrors and other trim/appliances on cars, and it is not that complicated a thing to do. A door handle would be one of the harder things to do it on, but not impossible, and doing stuff like that can be a fun little project for your free time.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I'm going to say that they will not fit. The listing also says that they won't fit.

I've done similar things to mirrors and other trim/appliances on cars, and it is not that complicated a thing to do.

Got any pics of said projects? :dunno:

Got any pics of said projects? :dunno:

Nah not the kind of thing I have done with one of my cars since the late 90s, early 2000s, but if you are interested, next time i go to the pick and pull, I can pick up something to do a photo walkthrough with. Won't be for at least a month, but just tell me what kind of part you are interested in.

I may do some mirrors... I've been thinking signal/marker mirrors might be nice.

Back