• Register Today It's free!

Door issues

EddieBauerEx

Reaction score
City, State
Sussex, New Brunswicl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
My passenger side rear door will not open at all. Seems like the door tries to unlock, as the lock nub moves, but it wont unlock at all, leaving that door useless, AND my Door Ajar light stays on which causes all my dome lights and mirror lights to stay on. Are these both related? The door being stuck doesn't bother me as much as the door ajar light.

My passenger side rear door will not open at all. Seems like the door tries to unlock, as the lock nub moves, but it wont unlock at all, leaving that door useless, AND my Door Ajar light stays on which causes all my dome lights and mirror lights to stay on. Are these both related? The door being stuck doesn't bother me as much as the door ajar light.

They are definitely related, as the door sensor is built into the latch. Most likely the latch itself is messed up; I had a similar issue with my drivers rear door. You can get the door panel off with the door closed. Once that is done, you might be able to manually manipulate the lock rods to unlock the door and open it. If not, next step is to get some WD40 or PB Blaster and spray the crap out of the latch mechanism to try and loosen it up and release. (This didn't work for me - I finally had to give the dealer about $200 to get the door open and install a latch I got from a junkyard. Connector on JY latch for inside handle was broken, so can't open door from inside, only from outside.) If you do get the door open, I suggest that you replace the latch ASAP, even though it is a PITA job, because it will jam up again!

PS: If your main concern is the door sensor, you might be able to unplug it after you get the door panel off. It will be at the top of the latch, I think at the inside corner. I think the switch is normally open, so just unplugging it will make the brain think the door is closed and your lights should work normally. If the switch is normally closed, you can put a jumper in the harness connector to fool the brain.

Back