Door pillar paint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door pillar paint

Ive noticed the pillar piece between my doors (black piece between the glass on the side doors) is starting to fade. Can I just spray it with Rustoleum? Any suggestions are welcomed..Thanks.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure about the long term of Rustoleum, but I would not advise usig Krylon. I tried using Krylon Black and it looked very good for about 6 mo. Then when it rained or got wet, it would change to an eerie blue.

I would pick up a can of automotive paint from Wal-mart or a local auto parts store. I sprayed a lacquer the last time, and it seems to be holding up well so far.

Thanks....I need to do something. It really hurts the looks of the truck.

First off I used some high-temp black spraypaint (all I had around). This didn't leave it very bright, but did fix the silver showing on mine. Later I found a tube of some acrylic black paint, and rubbed that on. It's brighter and shinier, and the rain doesn't do anything to it. I'm thinking I may sand my posts down and rub more of that stuff on. I don't really care how it looks, just as long as it's black. Right now with the high-temp getting wet from rain, it looks like a dark greyish color. Still haven't gotten any complaints or looks though.

Try some trim paint made by

"Marhyde". You can find it at Oreilly's. It's made for spraying bumpers or trim. I've used the "satin finish" on all the black parts on my 93. Works fine and looks good..I have painted the mirrors, wiper arms, door handles, luggage rack, basically anything that's "faded black". (In fact search under Faded Black, lot's of comments there).

Just sand the surface a bit ...wipe it down...and of course tape off all areas you don't want the paint to drift to.

I don't remember what brand but I also used some satin, black trim paint. Worked real well. I had a couple of really worn spots and even one where there was some surface rust on the top of the trim piece. Sanded it down, wiped it clean, and painted it. Still looks good after six months and unless you know where to look you can't really notice that it's slightly different than the paint on the rear trim.

Back