• Register Today It's free!

Drive Shaft Vibration

tONYB

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
Ok fellas I have a 3inch body lift, torsion twist, shackles in the rear, and 33x12.5 tires, on a 97 ford explorer. I have a vibration coming from the drive shaft from the lift. Does anyone know where I can a slip yoke elimationator for my 97 explorer or know what I can do to fix this vibration. Its driving me MAD!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you ever taken the driveshaft off? If so it needs to be put back perfectly, the way it was from the factory.

Did you just install the shackles and TT? They gave me a lot more vibration.

This has been going on for a while. Its a long drawn out story. But when I did the shackles and the torsion twist like 2 years ago. I didn't have the bigger tires. Everything was nice and smooth then. I added the 33's and I got a small vibration. I know its the driveshaft I just want something to get it back to the correct angle.

If the vibration happened just with adding the body lift and 33s, then there are a few possibilities that I can think of offhand:

1) It's just the tires
2) Some part of the body is vibrating, maybe a body mount is loose
3) a tool or something else hit the driveshaft and unbalanced it.

A 2" suspension lift should not stress the driveshafts at all. Maybe the front CVs, but you said you were ok with just the TT/shackles.

How are you positive it is the shaft?

I've replaced both left and right wheel bearings. The tires a balanced and I took the mudders off and went to street treads. Ive doubled checked all all bolts under the car. Does anyone know where I can purchase the slip yoke elimnator for the 97 explorer thats all I really need.

How do you know for sure it is the drive shaft? what is your evidence?

What kind of vibration and when does it occur, is it constant, rythmic, random, more evident in turns ....?

I doubt it is the drive shaft unless you did some damage to it. Get it balanced and installed correctly. It should cost less than $100.

The body lift and shackles are my prime suspects.

Whenever a vehicle is lifted via a body lift you need to expect some additional vibration, especially in our vehicles. After all they are only a box on wheels and the aerodynamics are pretty bad. You my be feeling additional wind vibrations is all, you added more surface area which means more wind resistance.

When you did the body lift (3" is quite a bit of body lift) did you also replace the body bushings? If you did not put new poly body bushings on then I suspect this is the source of some vibration. The original rubber bushings, now 6 years old, are too soft to properly support a 3" body lift.

You didn't lengthen the drive shaft distance or change the angle enough with a shackle lift to cause the slip yoke to be extended far enough to cause a vibration. However, you could inspect it for abnormal wear pattern to confirm it. Also, try packing it with grease to see if that gets rid of the vibration.

Also as jobunn mentioned the shaft needs to be replaced in the exact same postion / orientation that it cam out. Ford had a TSR about this at one time. It basically stated that if the drive shaft was not oriented the same way as it was from the factory that there woulkd be a vibration, and there was no reasonable way for the shop to fix it.

Just how much longer are the shackles, and what type? These could be the culpret if they are simply twin bar extended shackles. For every additiojnal inch of shackle distance you only get .5" of lift. If you used shakles that are 4" longer than the standard to get 2" of lift then I would be very suspect of these. They should probably be boxed to give them additional strength to resist side to side motion (vibration).

Back