EGR Code with No EGR Valve? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EGR Code with No EGR Valve?

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
I have a 92 eddy and I was getting very poor gas mileage, so I decided to do some code scanning (no CE light on) I got a code 32 - Bad/Stuck EGR Valve, only problem is, there is NO EGR or even a place to mount it! I checked my bro's 94 XLT and there it is smack dap on the right side of the top of the engine. What gives? Am I supposed to have one or not? I heard some 92s don;t have EGR valves, but then why would the PCM throw an EGR code?

Both of my 92's did not have a EGR.

What are you using to get the codes? I haven't quite figured out how some '92 and newer 4.0's output 2 digit codes. From what I've read, '92 to '95 4.0's with EEC-IV should output three digit codes (i.e. 111). It seems that most of those who get two digit codes are using some kind of "scanner" to get the codes, and I've seen a few who have admitted to operator error in using the scanner. Anyway, if I were in your shoes, I'd double check those codes. I know my '92 puts out three digit codes; I would expect yours should, too.
And when you get the codes, be sure to note if they are KOEo hard faults or continuous memory codes. Could make a difference.

Back