Electrical connection going into rear diff housing. What is this? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical connection going into rear diff housing. What is this?

chris070780

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I have a 91 Explorer. Eddie Bauer that I purchased for an off road truck. Today I noticed there is an electrical connector that appears to be going strait into the rear diff housing. What is this? Was electric lockers an option on these explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 91 Explorer. Eddie Bauer that I purchased for an off road truck. Today I noticed there is an electrical connector that appears to be going strait into the rear diff housing. What is this? Was electric lockers an option on these explorers?

No, that is your VSS (variable speed sensor). Your truck uses it to calculate speed.

Edit** Just saw Tbars post. I wonder if in 2wd the VSS and the RABS were both back there? Makes sense for there to only be the ABS on the diff on 4wds, because the VSS is moved to the transfercase.

I didn't think this truck had ABS as I don't remember seeing a sensor on the front wheels. Speedo works fine. The harness on this connector has been cut by someone else. So I am guessing it has to be ABS.

91-92 had just rear ABS. 93-94 had 4WABS. It is the ABS connector. On 4WD the VSS is on the TC (transfer case).

..Up till the 1993 model, the Explorer had a RABS system...

..On the 2wd version the VSS is found on the tranny while the 4wd VSS is on the transfer case...
41856450.gif

Back