• Register Today It's free!

Emergency help

Jeremy91

Reaction score
City, State
King George
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
My daughters birthday is tomorrow she's turning 3 unfortunately my truck died tonight on the way home. I just got a new battery and alternator. The alternator was bad draining my battery so new both and they were functioning just fine. Tonight unexpectedly my battery light came on and the car died and wouldn't turn over. I'd rather not spend her birthday troubleshooting if anyone can give me their best ideas of what could be the issue it would be greatly appreciated. 2000 Ford Explorer XLS 4.0 SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you just got a new battery, it should be under warranty? Do any codes come up? Is there anyone locally who can help you out, jump start or whatever? Can you get it to an AutoZone or some such place in your local? Sorry I can't do anymore for you. If you lived in Cedar City I could be of more help. Good luck and hope your daughter has a happy birthday tomorrow.

It is I'm just trying to think if anything could be draining the battery at a rapid rate. And thank you.

Is it possible that something other than a bad alternator caused the original issue that led to replacement of the battery and alternator? I would also have the new alternator tested as I have seen a new alternator fail right out of the box on several occasions. I’m sure at this point you’ve already done this but check/clean all visible grounds/connections especially in areas where wires may rub or contact other parts as this can lead to shorts/loose connections. Anything possibly contacting the terminal posts when the hood is closed? Just trying to throw everything I can think of at ya. How long has it been since the new battery went in, will it drain while parked and shut off or only while the engine is running? If it has been several days or weeks since the new parts I would lean towards a weak alternator. Have the alternator and battery tested at place of purchase, if one or both are bad they should replace them under warranty. If the vehicle is running they should also be able to do a system test that can help determine if it is some kind of parasitic drain outside of the alternator itself.

A volt meter will allow you to measure amp draw. Turn the truck off, disconnect the negative cable, and measure amperage from the cable end to the negative post on the battery.

check alternator fuse

The original post doesn't have enough info, imo. He should explain:

1. How he established that the alternator was bad in the first place, and

2. How much time passed after he replaced the alt + battery before the battery died again.

Back