• Register Today It's free!

Engine Paint WWYD

Kesp4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Recently picked up my long block from the rebuilders and they painted it high temp black. I told them I was going to paint it myself but I guess they forgot, or perhaps didn't want it to rust. Because it was just the long block, the oil pan, valve covers, timing chain cover and lower intake are all prepped to be painted grey. I'd prefer not to add grey painted parts to a black long block but might have to bc it'd be a PITA to remove it all. So here are what I think are the three options I have:
1. Scuff it up with a scotchbrite pad, add the other parts, hit the entire engine with ceramic primer and then paint grey
2. Scuff it up with a scotchbrite pad, add the other parts and hit it with just grey paint and use the scuffed up black as the primer coat
3. Leave it gloss black and paint the other parts grey and add them to the long block and just leave it as is
what do you guys think? I'm open to any other suggestions

Do you like the look of an assembled engine that is painted? In other words do you like seeing gaskets and hoses and clamps and bolts all painted engine color?

I would paint it all Ford Blue and then assemble it, but that is just me.

2 or 3, 1 is just a waste of primer.

I would paint it with limited amount of time involved, don't get me wrong, you want the paint to stick. However paint it such a color that if you have an oil leak, you can see it!
I agree with @Centaurious At this point primer is a waste of money if you have the money to spend, put on more coats of the color you are using.

Thanks for the advice. I've already got two cans of VHT Ford Grey and one can of high heat ceramic primer ...I purchased them in anticipation of getting a bare engine. I totally agree with selecting a color that allows one to identify leaks. Since the primer is already in hand should I still use it or is it a waste of time? Even if I don't use it on the block I will probably still use it on the parts that aren't black and therefore still need a primer coat

ETA: yes I do like the look of a painted assembled engine but I'm not really stuck on any particular look. I figured a coat of paint over everything (including gaskets) might be one more method of sealing it all up and possibly minimizing leaks

Back