• Register Today It's free!

Engine Problems

gwjones88

Reaction score
City, State
Frankston, Vic
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Hey guys i have just recently bought a 1998 ford explorer xlt with the 4.0ltr 6cylinder SOHC the bloke i bought it of told me it had a blown engine due to one of the two timing chains had gone i am getting my hand on another engine with only 90,000kms done i am just wondering will the chains need replacing in this to or does it only happen to some engines

This can happen to all motors. I would go ahead while you have it out and pull the cover off to check the chain. Better safe than sorry.

...but the replacement parts are upgraded, and should last longer than originals (though with enough miles they'll still go bad). I understnad 2002 and newer have these updated timing chain components from teh factory.

If you take it apart far enough to inspect, you might want to consider just going ahead and replacing the parts, they aren't very expensive. What is a little pricy though is the special tools you'll need to time the chains. There are no timing marks or keys on any of the timing gears. So don't remove any chains without the tools in place.

Back