• Register Today It's free!

Erratic water temperature gauge.

Johnbugs

Reaction score
City, State
Concord, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 EB, 5.0 V8
:usa: I just found this site and it is really a nice place to spend time! I have two Explorers, a 1999 EB V8 AWD (86K miles) and a 2000 XLT 4X4 V6 (115k miles). The '99 has a strange quirk with the water temp gauge. The temperature readings are "normal" (middle of the dial) when the vehicle is started from cold and then up through normal operating temperature. When the vehicle is turned off and then restarted (engine is still warm), the temp gauge needle goes way over the "H" mark and the red idiot light comes on. The engine is not actually overheating. The needle swings down gradually (when I take off from a stop) and then drifts to "normal" when the engine enters second gear. After a few miles, the gauge begins to behave "normal" again (no fluctuations). I have flushed the radiator (no evidence of rust, very clean) and changed the thermostat. The next item would be the sensor but I am curious about this crazy needle reading. The 2000 V6 behaves perfectly. Anyone had this problem and knows how to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had this problem too once, it was caused by a bubble of air in the system causing steam, you have put the front of the vehicle higher than the back to burp the system, , make sure there is no air in there,

welcome john i see ur from the bay area i have friends and family and my gf live in the bay area me i live in southern cali but i come to bay area to visit

Thanks everyone for your help, I am still trying to figure this forum thing out...;) Yes, the next move is the sending unit... my current problem is my 04 Mustang GT that has been sitting for the past 3 weeks, now it wont start.... charged the battery, it ran for a while and died,, now wont start. Fuel pump? It was running perfectly before I put the car cover on it.

Bummed out!

Long story short, I borrowed my neighbors code reader that produced P0172, PO175 and P2198 codes. Put in a new battery (current one was getting old) and then learned that I might have put too much oil on the K and N filter (!). Pulled the MAF and saw all sorts of oil everywhere. Cleaned it with MAF cleaner, put it back in. Hard starting then after starting and it would hesitate with acceleration and stall. I pulled the K and N and replaced it with my back up paper unit. The problem remains. So, next most likely with be a new MAF.

Back