• Register Today It's free!

exhaust idea

minimagpro

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
04' XLT 4x4
ok on my 2004 explorer i have a magnaflow muffler with my cat converter still on. its an offset in and a center out

im wanting to cut my cat converter out and have a straight pipe running from my engine to the muffler and out in a dual exhaust so im wondering could i modify my exhaust by welding another pipe to the end of the muffler and have it going out duel?

also would it be louder with just straight pipes with no muffler and cat converter or with the magnaflow

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no cat=illegal Don't know about the rest.

not in my state

Umm...unless something happened recently its a federal law. A lot of states just don't inspect them.

well my state has so many rednecks and such that there is no test..

most of the policemen that i know have jacked up trucks with pipes

anyone have an answer to my question

just to let you know...your not going to see any performance increase without a cat. Expo cat's are very high flow to begin with ;).

Do you have an oxygen sensor before and after the cat? If so, it won't run very well and will throw codes. If there is just one before it, I think it will run fine.

As far as modifying the muffler, You could have a "Y" shaped pipe come out of it with the two pipes continuing out. Thats just splitting the pipe. They do that a lot to simulate dual pipes.

thanks, and what is this oxygen sensor? can you explain?

Umm....I will attempt to. I am not an expert. The computer has a sensor in the exhaust pipe that tells it how clean the fuel is burning (I think). Anyway, it controls either air or fuel flow into the engine (again, I am not sure). The older ones (like my 89) has a single O2 (oxygen) sensor in front of the cat. It would run fine without a cat (has for years). The newer ones have one before and one after the cat to measure the difference the cat makes (my 01 does). If there is no cat it throws a check engine code and runs bad (if at all-not sure).

I don't know if that helps any, but that about the best I can do.

Look under your X and see if there are wires going down to the exhaust pipe. Those are the O2 sensors in there.

:)

alright ill post back when i take a look

and do you think that theres going to be a major sound difference without the cat?

I have no clue. I am deaf.

no big difference

Back