Exhaust Modifications to my '13 Sport (with pics) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Modifications to my '13 Sport (with pics)

Would there be any benefit for adding the H pipe alone and leaving the stock mufflers in place. $60 bucks seems like a cheep way to take the first step in freeing up some back pressure.

So does adding the H pipe alone Add HP? Increase exhaust sound?

Not from the H-pipe itself, the stock 3rd cat acts as a crossover. If you replaced the 3rd cat with an H or X it would increase flow due to the removal of a cat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just so I know, is this a 2 hp difference ?!? or 20 hp ? and are we sure it's better or just sounds better ? I mean has anyone quantified it with dyno / quarter mile times ? not all change is good :)

all my years following drag racing we tried to tune the exhaust to the pulse width to best scavenge the exhaust. in THOSE applications a 2 hp difference was critical, but not in the wife's explorer :)

Just so I know, is this a 2 hp difference ?!? or 20 hp ? and are we sure it's better or just sounds better ? I mean has anyone quantified it with dyno / quarter mile times ? not all change is good :)

all my years following drag racing we tried to tune the exhaust to the pulse width to best scavenge the exhaust. in THOSE applications a 2 hp difference was critical, but not in the wife's explorer :)

+1 here. This was my thoughts all along, if you are doing this to improve sound, fine, but you sure can't feel 2hp. And scavenging on a turbo or supercharged vehicle is pretty pointless. Even just a little bit of overlap will purge the cylinder more then natural scavenging on a NA motor

After seeing the guts of the center muffler, I snapped up a dynomax SHO axle back from amazon and am going to swap the rear mufflers only and replace the 3rd cat with an x pipe. The resonator is the center muffler (it is straight through and either a helmholtz or quarter wave style) and it shouldn't drone so long as it remains. I shall post how much modification it takes to fit them and my impressions.

besides cost being much higher; does anyone know if simply replacing with a new magnaflow (or similar) cat-back system would avoid the "drone"? Further, has anyone seen any dyno results? Magnaflow hasn't published any for our EX Sport.

besides cost being much higher; does anyone know if simply replacing with a new magnaflow (or similar) cat-back system would avoid the "drone"? Further, has anyone seen any dyno results? Magnaflow hasn't published any for our EX Sport.

I have the Magnaflow catback on my Sport. There is a little bit of drone, nothing I can't live with though.

Would there be any benefit for adding the H pipe alone and leaving the stock mufflers in place. $60 bucks seems like a cheep way to take the first step in freeing up some back pressure.

So does adding the H pipe alone Add HP? Increase exhaust sound?
Don't forget that the vehicle was tuned for optimal performance with the OEM parts. Replacing them will no doubt require retuning the engine. Also, increased HP = decreased MPG. Any failures linked to modified systems will also likely void any factory warranty on those failed parts.

Peter

Tuning the vehicle to sound "better" louder more powerful, by changing and or eliminating mufflers, resonators, or larger diameter pipes etc., is just that, changing the sound.....In almost every instance of reduced back pressure, ie free flowing exhaust, it may sound better but you will loose HP and torque on the bottom end. You may think it's better, but it's not.....not really, and unless the modern motor is re-flashed to handle the flow changes it may burn lean and cause you a multitude of reliability problems. This is not shade tree mechanic stuff anymore.

any chance we can hear this thing?

Tuning the vehicle to sound "better" louder more powerful, by changing and or eliminating mufflers, resonators, or larger diameter pipes etc., is just that, changing the sound.....In almost every instance of reduced back pressure, ie free flowing exhaust, it may sound better but you will loose HP and torque on the bottom end. You may think it's better, but it's not.....not really, and unless the modern motor is re-flashed to handle the flow changes it may burn lean and cause you a multitude of reliability problems. This is not shade tree mechanic stuff anymore.

The stock EB mufflers are in fact a bit restrictive. Some engines like the F150 have fully straight through mufflers and resonators and no more power is released with exhaust but the SHO/Flex/EXSport all have a very destructive muffler design.

stock_5.jpg

I'd love to hear some more sound clips of custom setups since magnaflow is our only off the shelf option right now, and still requires modification, and their videos have more wind/background noise than exhaust noise.

We just traded our 2011 5.0 mustang for the Sport (wifey is due, otherwise we would still have the stang!!!), and debating on putting the Roush axleback I took off the mustang onto the Sport. The tips bolt right to the muffler, and it's all nice polished SS, so all it would require is cutting the axleback pipes off the roush mufflers and welding up exhaust pipe from there to the factory outlet and a couple hangers. The roush sounded great on the 5.0, it sounds great on my Raptor, it should sound good on the EB too I hope!

The stock EB mufflers are in fact a bit restrictive. Some engines like the F150 have fully straight through mufflers and resonators and no more power is released with exhaust but the SHO/Flex/EXSport all have a very destructive muffler design.

stock_5.jpg

Is this a cut-out of the "Stock 2013 Sport Muffler" ?

Is this a cut-out of the "Stock 2013 Sport Muffler" ?

Yes, it shares the exact same mufflers as the SHO and Flex. I checked the part numbers on mine against a 2013 Flex ecoboost, a 2010 SHO and a 2013 SHO.

Back