• Register Today It's free!

Explorer/Pilot - Assistance?

BradGT

Reaction score
City, State
Greater Toronto Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
Mazda
Finally down to two vehicles in consideration for my next purchase that I am planning on keeping 8 - 10 years. I've considered a lot of different vehicles and I have narrowed down my choice to a 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L or a 2014 Ford Explorer XLT FWD. After all is said and done, they are within $24 of each other, though the Explorer has navigation, but no trailer hitch and the Pilot has the hitch, but no navigation. I'm looking at a FWD Explorer because I don't need AWD and FWD with snow tires has worked well for me. There are things I like about both and things I dislike about both, but I cannot seem to make up my mind. My wife prefers the Pilot over the Explorer, though she'll support whichever vehicle I choose, I just have to make a decision.

Both vehicles have LATCH anchors in one position in the third row which I like as we will need to carry two childeren, both in car seats. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally down to two vehicles in consideration for my next purchase that I am planning on keeping 8 - 10 years. I've considered a lot of different vehicles and I have narrowed down my choice to a 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L or a 2014 Ford Explorer XLT FWD. After all is said and done, they are within $24 of each other, though the Explorer has navigation, but no trailer hitch and the Pilot has the hitch, but no navigation. I'm looking at a FWD Explorer because I don't need AWD and FWD with snow tires has worked well for me. There are things I like about both and things I dislike about both, but I cannot seem to make up my mind. My wife prefers the Pilot over the Explorer, though she'll support whichever vehicle I choose, I just have to make a decision.

Both vehicles have LATCH anchors in one position in the third row which I like as we will need to carry two childeren, both in car seats. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum BradGT.:wavey:
I believe we have another member from Brampton as well. I think the Explorer is a little more stylish looking but that it just my opinion. A friend of mine referred to the Pilot as while back as looking like a 'Pilgrim's Hat'. It does seem that the new one looks a bit better. I also think it will retain its value better that the Explorer. I don't know if the Pilot has AWD or not but I'm sold on that feature. I don't think I'd ever get another vehicle without it.
Tough choice but I don't really have much to offer in the way of assistance. Besides, I don't want to share any blame if things go wrong. ;):thumbsup:
Good luck.

Peter

My wife preferred the MDX over the Explorer as well, and it's based on the Pilot. Must be a 'woman' thing ;)

I didn't consider the Pilot because it just felt so "pedestrian" to me. I see them everywhere and they just seem like the ubiquitous soccer-mom vehicle. The MDX takes the platform to a while different level. I REALLY liked it as a package, and it's very well appointed. I chose the Explorer Sport over it primarily for performance and the fact that the '13 MDX platform is long in the tooth - the Explorer had some nice things that the MDX did not offer. Overall, I'm happy with the decision, however...

... don't underestimate dealer support. If I would have spent more time here before my purchase, I might have thought twice. I know that Acura stands behind their vehicles no questions asked, and Honda generally does as well. It would a appear that Ford is a little more "hit or miss"; there are some great ones and some not so great ones. Time will tell, but I am somewhat concerned at this point. I haven't had any issues, and usually just tell people "buy what you like" but everyone's situation is different. If my Explorer blows up, we have a Honda minivan to move the tribe from place to place. It's technically "my" car so I have some wiggle room. If it was my primary people mover I'd make sure I had a GOOD dealer standing behind it.

Good luck in your choice!

We own both, a 2009 Pilot EX-L, and 2013 Explorer Limited. My wife drives the Pilot and she says it is the best car she has ever owned. I asked her for her opinion comparing the two:

1. Prefers the boxy upright look, although she agrees that the Pilot is looking a little dated.
2. Likes the higher seating position and the higher ground clearance, more like a "truck"
3. Lots of good usable storage throughout the front of the car
4. Likes the peppy engine
5. Wishes that it had some of the bells and whistles of my newer vehicle
6. Pilot is more truck and Explorer is more car in their approaches to what type of SUV they are

My opinion on the two vehicles

1. I do all of my own maintenance on each vehicle, and they are equivalent in how easy they are to maintain
2. I know the Honda will be worth more when it comes time to get a new vehicle
3. While the vehicles are about the same size overall, I think they achieve the inside in different ways. The Explorer feels larger in the front seat area than the Honda, but it comes with a price. I believe that 2nd and 3rd rows have less room in the Explorer. Also, when you have the 3rd row available in the Honda, you have NO room behind the seat.
4. The Pilot has a more responsive engine at low RPM's, but the Explorer is better once it gets going
5. The rear deck with folded seats is better in the Honda than Ford's solution

Funny thing is I wouldn't drive a Pilot over my Explorer, and my wife wouldn't drive my Explorer over her Pilot :)

I have a 13 FWD Exp. Much as I like the comfortable ride, considering a number of quality issues and problems, I think I would choose the Honda next time........best regards Plum

all I got to say is you in the US you can get an average discount of $5500 off from new 2013 AWD EX-L. that brings the price to 31k. That is one solid suv for that price.

I still like my 13 EX limited 2wd. I do have to agree with Taggie. The second and the third rows seating is roomer in the Pilot.

I'll give you some of my reason why I picked my ex in the order of My important

notice 1, 2, 3, 5 is not available on the pilot.

1. The look, exterior and interior. The quality of the materials is better in the EX
2. Panoramic sunroof
3. Keyless entry
4. GPS (yes, the ford GPS is actually easier to use then the one from Honda)
5. Power Third row.

With the heavy discount going on with the Pilot now and the track record of the quality and resale value. If I would of buy again. It'll be a hard decision. Even though the pilot looks outdated.

Both vehicles are heavily discounted currently and the interest rate is the same for each if I purchase it, and the lease rate is almost a wash also which is why I am having a difficult decision. If the price of each were further apart, it might make the decision easier. The Explorer will be FWD, the Pilot will be 4WD as that is the only way we can get the EX-L in Canada. I'll need to buy new steel rims for the Pilot for my existing winter tires and I can probably use my existing tires/rims on the Explorer as the bolt pattern is the same as my current vehicle and the tires are close, 235/65/17or would it be prudent to go with the 245/65/17 tires instead? The Explorer will have the 18" rims. While most of the issues I have read about for the Explorer seem minor in nature, I am mostly concerned about MFT system, though I really like it.

Ultimately, if I could amalgamate what I like about the Pilot and what I like about the Explorer, I think I would have the perfect vehicle. I like the look and drive of the Explorer, but I like the seating configuration in the Pilot - 3 sets of LATCH anchors in the middle row - and it seems easier to park, even though there is only about 6" difference in length between the two. Wish the choice was easy or I had enough money to buy both. :)

I have a 13 FWD Exp. Much as I like the comfortable ride, considering a number of quality issues and problems, I think I would choose the Honda next time........best regards Plum

I'm not sure whether you have posted an earlier thread, but what problems/issues have you had?

Just wanted to come back with an update. I ended up purchasing a 2014 Highlander and so far, I like the vehicle though I don't have very many km on the odometer. It was going to be a used 2013 Explorer Limited or a new Highlander, and new won out over used.

Smart choice. Had the new style Highlander been available in 2011, the wife would have bought that over the Ex. Her previous vehicle was a 2002 Highlander Limited, 150K mi, except for the timing belt/water pump...never had a wrench turned on it.

We are in the market for a new vehicle, narrowed it down to the 2014 Ex and CX-9, with the Ex probably what we'll go with because of its towing ability. It does seem like you need to be careful on delivery to make sure everything is in order as build quality seems to be hit and miss.

I looked at and sat in a new 2014 Highlander and it is small in the back. The third row MIGHT fit a 4 year old, and with all three rows up there is almost no room behind the third seat. The technology also seems 2010ish, which for me is unacceptable for a new redesigned 2014.

We are in the market for a new vehicle, narrowed it down to the 2014 Ex and CX-9, with the Ex probably what we'll go with because of its towing ability. It does seem like you need to be careful on delivery to make sure everything is in order as build quality seems to be hit and miss.

I looked at and sat in a new 2014 Highlander and it is small in the back. The third row MIGHT fit a 4 year old, and with all three rows up there is almost no room behind the third seat. The technology also seems 2010ish, which for me is unacceptable for a new redesigned 2014.
I've had 3 Highlanders and although they were all excellent vehicles, some of the technology seems to be at least 3 years behind. I was told that in order to get the Adaptive Cruise Control and one other feature that the Ex has and I can't recall at the moment, you had to get the Highlander Hybrid which is about $6k more here.

Peter

Back