Explorer won't start!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer won't start!!

fnichole89

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
About a week ago, had some issues with the battery, replaced it. Then a few days later it wouldn't start just clicked but all lights are working, including radio & windows. I tried several times, then just gave up for a few hours, went back out & it started right up, ran perfectly fine for a week. I just went out earlier & it won't start once again.

What could be the issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like you have corrosion issues. Make sure the battery terminals are making a clean connection. The starter pulls some amps and while the interior lights may work with the corrosion, the starter may not.

The starter terminals on these trucks can also be a little bit finicky as well. Make sure those connections are clean if the battery terminals don't fix it. By clean I mean making a good connection, not necessarily looking clean on the exterior.

Okay, i will try that in the morning. I am a female by the way, so what would you clean the terminal's with & where exactly is the starter located? Is it right near the battery the black cylinder looking thing with the metal rods coming out of the top?

You could loosen the bolts on the battery terminals, remove them from the battery posts and then clean the inside of the 'rings' with sandpaper, emery cloth, or a wire brush. If the corrosion is significant, you can pick up a cleaning kit at the auto parts store. They come with a chemical spray that dissolves the corrosion, as well as a brush and protective lacquer spray to keep the corrosion from happening again.

Since all you touched was the battery, that is likely where the problem is. I wouldn't mess with the starter unless you still are having issues after cleaning the battery terminals. The starter is tucked up under the engine on the drivers side for V6 and passenger side for V8, just forward of the transmission.

I just went out there again today & it's still not starting, i even tried getting someone to jump me over with no luck. All the lights, radio & windows still work, but will try to clean the terminals & see if that helps.

If not how could you try jump starting it by pecking on the starter? Would someone have to get under the vehicle to get to the starter to do so?

I know a friend who had to peck or touch it with cables his starter everytime he wanted to start his vehicle.

Yeah, clean the terminals and go from there.

You could maybe get a jumper cable clip on the starter post, but that is a tight location and if you get it wrong and it touches the frame, there will be sparks. :eek:

How do i get to the starter, is there a diagram online somewhere to show me exactly where that is located.

I know where it is on certain vehicles as its right in the front of the motor near the fan where you can easily get to it without having to get under the vehicle itself.

Also to add, i went to attempt to start it again & the battery light came up when i turned the key to start & my guage that shows the charge for the battery is almost at the bottom line of charge.

Did you clean the battery terminals?

The starter is best accessed from beneath the vehicle. Pass side for V8, drivers side for V6. It is nestled against the engine block, just in front of the transmission. There will be one large cable (from battery +12v) and one small cable (solenoid trigger wire) connecting to it. There should be a red plastic cover over the terminals themselves. Please disconnect the negative battery terminal before working on the starter unless you want to make sparks.

How do the cables themselves look?

I should mention that I once became stranded at a cabin in the woods in below zero weather without any tools....lol The xlt had been running fine for months without issue. I got the click just as you are getting, but every other low draw function worked, such as lights or radio. I had to get picked up and come back the next day with tools. I removed the terminals at the starter, used some emery cloth on the surfaces, put it back together and it started just fine. Not so much fun doing that outside in the winter.

I have also experienced the same thing with my sport that has the V8, although it was shortly after the engine swap and happened in the driveway when I was still working out the kinks. It has been good so far. *knocks on wood*

Yes i cleaned the terminal's. & made the attempt to start it but nothing, and the guage that shows charge for the battery is under half charge and just about on the line of nothing. And the battery light is on as well. The cables are not too bad, but the terminal's themselves wasn't as bad as i imagined either they shined right up no problem. But the negative terminal was so loose i could just pull it off when i went to clean them, but they are tight now.

After removing the terminals & replacing them woudn't i have to have someone jumpstart me, or should it have turned right over, but if the battery is not charged enough to start the car then it would need jumpstarted regardless correct?

If the battery has a proper charge, then it should start right up if the terminals are connected. If the battery is low, then you will need a jump start.

Okay thanks, will try that in just a few & see if that helps. Hopefully it does, i know the guage that shows the charge for my battery quite low.

Quick question, getting ready to try to jumpstart, if that doesn't work, what should i try?

Also if that doesn't work could i still have a battery related issue? The battery is around 5 years old by the way.

Based on the first post, I assumed you had replaced the battery with a new one? Or did you just put the old one back?

If a jump start doesn't work, then you could have battery issues, or it could be a poor connection at the starter. Since your battery is old, it could very well have an issue. You could get it tested at a parts store. They can load test it to see how it behaves.

if your battery is low, very low... it is unlikely thst jumping in the "normal" mode will work. Your almost dead battery plus a "poor" starter (if this is the case) will put too much load on the jumping truck. You will likely have disconnect the "dead" battery (take off the positive cable), then jump... that way the dead battery is out of the circuit.

Update: That day i tried everything, pecked on the starter itself got no results, charged the battery on a charging unit, replaced it still nothing. Then 20 minutes later, it just started right up, so i took it to a local parts store let then test the battery it tested good, plus hook it up on a computer & all it showed was it needed an oxygen sensor & had a low crank but that is all. Replaced the terminals with new ones, and went on my way did fine all that evening & the next day started right up, had to go to a few places & had no issues. Today i go out & once again it's doing the same thing...

I honestly don't know what to do. But i do know it's not the alternator, it was tested by removing one of the terminal's while running & the car didn't shut off. But also pecking on the starter didn't start the car either during all the issues, it just decided to start right up on it's own 20 minutes later after leaving it alone.

I'm pretty sure the starter is the issue if you get a clicking?? i remember i had that problem with my 94 civic, went outside to start it one day, just got a click, but hadn't had any battery issues, so i replaced the battery and same thing... just clicked. turned out to be the starter. But many years ago i had the battery die in the civic (left lights on ~6hours) and it cranked slowly and THEN started clicking... so.

Have you tried tapping on the starter with a small hammer when it won't start?

I also used to have a Dakota that had a bad starter, and when it wouldn't start i'd tap on the starter with a metal pipe, and it would start right up.

:/

I'm having similar issues right now, going to bring the battery in and check voltage, clean the posts, charge the battery back up and see how it goes.

Back