Extra Fog Light Idea! '03 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extra Fog Light Idea! '03 Explorer

Any of you try installing extra foglights in this area? The area I'm referring to is just below the factory fogs and a little more towards the center. The shape is rectangular with rounded corners. In the picture I've attached, you can easily see where I'm referring to. The shape looks tailored for fog lights. The plastic inserts in this area unclip easily too, as if made for something to be inserted there.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this, and if you have some pictures?

I'm gonna shop for a perfect size fog light and post pics once its all done.

.... Not sure what these cut-outs were intended for ... maybe an area to run pushbar mounts through, not sure.

Mike

epr_pgextpop3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Piaa

I had a pair popped in there for me, but I let a shop handle it. I have a post somewhere, you can see them at night... I don't use them at night to drive because they are very intense... I leave them on during the day.

(It's under a new thread, "Anybody seen this?")

Cool

Cool! Thanks for the reply

Any daytime photos?

The nite photo looks pretty aggressive!

Daytime...

and thank you!

This is during grille replacement and before I put on the larger tires...

Grill

Where did you buy those Grills?

I've seen alot of Billet Grills been offered, but these look AMAZING

Donner,
What brand/model are those lights? They look like they were made to go there. Are they a driving (long, narrow) or fog (short, broad) beam? Thanks.

Officer,
Those cutouts are for tow hooks.
a720_1.jpg

Hi there... I had them installed by a nearby (the best) shop. I asked them for a few ideas, and this is one. They actually chose the styles and I just picked the one I liked best... they said they'd make them look factory installed. I've been towed, but I don't have hooks like in the picture there. Those areas on my 2003 xlt are/were empty... The lights are Piaa, the model number I will have to find (I have it here somewhere). I would say they are fog lights, but I don't run them at night because they are very intense. I don't like my headlights on during the day, so I went with these... I'll pop a pic here of where they hooked up my tow...

Okay, a tow person would need to explain this, but I've only seen them get on their back, reach under there about two feet or so back, and attach a (pretty massive) hook to each side; and then the flatbed pulls it up. (I was just under there, but I have no clue) Even before the Piaas, they never used that area up front to tow my vehicle... there were only plastic caps there. The lights cost about $240...

Also, I have two additional projects/additions coming that involve the front end (Westin), and the roof top cargo carrier based on the Gobi series - more Piaas for the top. The Westin addition will be altered a bit so that it won't interfere with the lower valance fog lights - the Gobi cargo carrier is pending a response from the manufacturer - if they don't have the application I need, it will be fabricated or I'll wait until they do have it. There are actually two designs I'm looking at, either way there will be more Piaas, and the ability for the vehicle to be towed will not be affected by the Westin addition or the lower val fog lights...

That makes sense!

OK, that makes sense ... tow hooks! of course. And thanks for the pic as well.

I had bought a pair of halogen fog lights at a local tuck shop. Liquidation $20 for the pair!!!! So if they don't fit there .... no big loss. They are 5" rectangles. Black casing with a black protective grill. So if they fit, it'll definitely look very mean!

I just bought a Westin bull bar (safari model) which will hopefully not sit right in front of this fog light location. There are two holes for mounting lights on this bull bar, so I'm planning on mounting 2 round PIAA's.

I'll make sure to post the pics of mine once it sall done.

I also want a roof cargo rack, I just checked-out the gobi site donner, looks great! cant wait to see how the ford line will look. Question, with these roof racks, does the rear hatch still work with the ladder installed on theback? Does the ladder swing on hinges?

Excellent choices! How will the lights hold up in the weather there? Some of the less expensive lights don't keep out moisture very well... freezing, cracking, mildew. (My license plate lights had to be reinstalled for that (mildew) reason. That vehicle of yours looks very elegant!

I'm not adding the ladder portion... but if it's a custom fit, yes, the ladder will accommodate the Explorer. The Westin bars usually rely on that fog light area for connection, but the fabrication shop here will adjust it so that it doesn't interfere.

My concern with the Piaa cargo lights is theft... so if the vehicle is not in the garage, those lights will need to be removable - say attached to a locking bar that I can remove.

Good Points

My truck is actually a black Limited, but I posted the white one because the fog light insert area was much more visible. I'll have to post a pic of mine once I get the lights on. It's black with clear corners, thats all for now.

The Westin Safari Bull bar actually mounts from underneath the bottom plastic lip, it travels from underneath everything and up around the licence plate, so it leaves those two holes alone. I added a pic. It's actually a pretty cheap add-on, $230.

Good point about theft though, I might be wiser putting on cheaper, easily replaceable round work lights! I'm a cop, so I guess I should know better! lol

What other roof racks have you seen that would look good on teh Explorer? I google it, but not much comes-up thats custom for the explorer.

explorer_safari_bar.jpg

(I'll wait to see the pics, a black Ex sounds sweet!) Cargo carrier is probably a better term to search because they usually include lighting. Most of the roof racks I've seen are small, and they look like they were made for Jeep Wranglers. I can't say that there are too many out there, because I've only been looking for a short while on this one... I just figured I'd get the little cargo carrier, but then I saw the others... why settle? I'll keep searching... the Gobi brand costs a bundle, that would have to be secured to the vehicle.

I'm not sure if I can post the names of these sites, but Gobiracks.com has pretty good examples...

Out.

Back