Extremely rough/bogged acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extremely rough/bogged acceleration

shane10

Reaction score
City, State
MW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
4WD
hi all, 2002 explorer 4.0 v6. A couple weeks ago I noticed my truck accelerated rough but only on startup, it would surge and pickup and ride fine after that. I did some inspecting and noticed I had an exhaust leak, on the flange in between the manifold and catalytic converter. Today I went into town with the same problems, but it got much worse very quickly, I had almost no throttle response and got a jerky/slow acceleration. If I put the pedal to the floor, it would eventually pick up some speed.
I definitely have an exhaust leak, but would that cause symptoms as severe as mine? My theory is the leak is just upstream of the O2 sensor, and the extra oxygen entering the system is causing more fuel, which bogs me down.
I have an appointment to get the exhaust leak fixed in a few days, that is if I can make it to town.
Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Forgot to mention service engine soon light is blinking/solid. Code shown was p0132, bank 1 sensor 1. Leak is in right (passenger) side of engine

Plugged cat?
Possible, though I wouldn't expect such severe drivability issues. I've heard (if it's a plugged cat) unplugging the O2 sensor would clear the issues up since it lets trapped air escape. I'm positive I have an exhaust leak which also lets air escape, So if it was the cat the leak should clear it up?
Thanks

Back