Fault codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fault codes

thermoguy

Reaction score
I've read a lot about t-stat replacements and ECT sensors on the site. I think I'm having a similar problem and was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

About a month ago, I replaced my t-stat because my 91 Eddie Bauer was not heating up - a classic t-stat problem. Well, it's getting plenty warm now (not overheating), but the gas mileage has really dropped - from around 19-20 to 15. I've noticed that I'm losing a little fluid (I think it's at the core-tank junction on the passenger side), but even when I keep it full, I don't see an improvement in gas mileage. I checked the ECT sensor and it's within the range spelled out by Haynes. I've not yet checked the O2 sensor, but it seems odd to me that it would go out at the same time I replace the t-stat. I've cleaned the throttle body with some stuff from Gunk similar to carb cleaner (exhausted a lot of smoke) thinking the intake was full of junk. Any thoughts so far? This weekend I'm planning on checking the computer. Can I just read the "check engine" light on the dash? I also have a Pontiac Sunbird and that's how I read the codes on that vehicle.

Thanks for your help.

Back