federal Recreation Fee Demo program | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

federal Recreation Fee Demo program

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
Recently read a nasty letter to the editor in a local paper about the Fee Demonstration project. (A link to a brief description of the project by the forest service, if you are uncertain as to what I'm talking about). Just wanted to get your opinions on this program. How do you feel about paying a fee to recreate on public lands? Personally, I'm not sure what opinion to have. I know that I avoid those areas (most notably, mirror lake, locally) where the fee is charged, but there are many other areas to go to, so it doesn't make a huge difference.
Post your opinions (remember to keep it civil, agree to disagree, and all that jazz). Also, if you're aware of any links to information about the project, post those as well.
From what I've read, the program has been extended to Sep 2004, after which they will decide whether to make it permanent or expand it to other areas. So, if you have strong feelings about it, you should probably get a hold of the appropriate agency and let them know. From what I've heard, the public's response has been positive to date.

I love to spend time in "free" areas in Utah and Colorado. I would support a fee program however if it is the only way to keep areas open. We have lost so much of our public land to Wilderness that will never be re-opened. We need to keep what we have left. Fee's would be ok only if they kept areas open and prevented restrictions in public land.

I don't really like the idea, but is sure beats land and roads being closed.

Unfortunately it cost to maintain the enviroment, wether thru park patrol for rowdy folks, or help in maintaining wildlife for the future generations, as a father of two, I do not mind paying a rec fee, shoot you pay fee's to hunt and fish, why not to wheel, if the fee helps keep areas open for designated off road use, I am all for it, otherwise lack of funding, the government will continue closing parks to the public, and we will have fewer places to travel, also less public places will cause an increase in private parks that charge higher fees. Just my view, it's a beautiful world out there, I want to be able to adventure out in to it, fee or no fee. Of course free is always better, but I think those days are about gone.

Back