Flipping Ford 8.8 for Trailer Axle? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flipping Ford 8.8 for Trailer Axle?

badge49

Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4X4
I picked up a sweet little trailer that I'm building for off-road use. It needs a new axle with modern hubs. I want to mount a Ford 8.8 under it so I can have all the extra parts on hand if they were to ever break on the Explorer.

Now here is the question I can't figure out: Can I just flip the Ford 8.8 upside down and backwards for use as a trailer axle? The advantages of doing this would be simplicity in SOA and it would allow me to put the yoke rearward facing into a high-pinion position so it wouldn't get caught on rocks and brush. My only real concern is that the axle wasn't designed to carry weight upside down and backwards while rotating at highway speed.

Any input or suggestions? Anyone used a truck axle in a trailer before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a trailer. Pull the axle apart and remove the ring gear. (You could even remove the pinion and install a freeze-out plug also.)

If you mount it backwards, that leaves the rear cover as the front. Do you really want the weakest part as that first line of defense against the rocks? I sure wouldnt.
It would also move the fill plug to a different level, how do you plan on filling the rear in the future?

To answer your question. Yes you can, but would you want to? I would just flip it, leave it forward facing, and put a new fill plug in the rear cover.

It'll work - doesnt matter which way the load is being applied.

However, if I were you, I'd just slap on a set of real trailer axles because the chances of you breaking anything on the 8.8 is pretty slim. And If you point the pinion up, that's a few inches of upwards travel on the trailer you'll be loosing.

Thanks guys, still deciding on which way to go, but at least I know it can be done.

You'd have to make sure the vent is rerouted. I don't recall if the vent sticks up fron the top of the axle but if so it'd be pointing down and more likely to be hit. Also is there a speed sensor in the top of the 8.8" axle? I seem to recall a shop having to use that to fill an 8.8 under an Aerostar that I was working on for a friend one time because the fill plug had been messed up by someone before. It'd open that up for dammage and leakage.

I'm with IZ, I'd just get a cheap trailer axle and call it good.

Can't you just spin it around instead of flipping it?

i know this thread is kind of old, but i have been thinking of making a cheap trailer using a ranger or explorer rear axle and springs, i have a question though, how do you plug the area here the driveshaft usually connects to? and will the axle be fine free spinning? i just need something for road use for riding lawnmower and string trimmer etc. i cant seem to find any trailer axles and springs for sale anywhere around here, especially for cheap, wich is why im looking into this, thanks!

i know this thread is kind of old, but i have been thinking of making a cheap trailer using a ranger or explorer rear axle and springs, i have a question though, how do you plug the area here the driveshaft usually connects to? and will the axle be fine free spinning? i just need something for road use for riding lawnmower and string trimmer etc. i cant seem to find any trailer axles and springs for sale anywhere around here, especially for cheap, wich is why im looking into this, thanks!

If you really can't find trailer axles, why not use a smaller/cheaper axle like the ford 7.5? Or even better, a non driven axle. Like the trailing axle from a FWD minivan

hmm i thought of using a different axle but i hadnt thought of a drag axle from a 2wd... ill have to look into that but i mainly wanted the 8.8 axle for strength, i know it wont need to hold all that much but at least it probably wouldnt ever break? i bet i could get the drag axles from the local jy cheaper than a 8.8 but also wouldnt having coil springs or struts make ti harder to build a trailer off of? just thoughts haha.

It's a trailer, pretty easy to weld on leaf spring perches. No need to worry about pinion angle. Some are probably leaf sprung to.
I doubt you'll surpass the weight limit on the 7.5 much less the 8.8
Most minivans are rated to tow a decent amount, and carry 8 passengers... so I wouldn't be concerned about the weight limit of a trailing axle from a minivan. At worse you bend it. Straighten or replace and brace :D

hm, good point, i think ill probably end up going that route since there are a bunch of old freestars in the local jy, i bet the solid trailing axles would be much cheaper to buy too. thanks!

No problem, and I'd hope so :D not much to em. Post how much they charge you, I'm betting it's cheaper than buying a real trailer axle.

i will but it is probably going to be quite a while, its not super high on the priority list right now as much as i would like to have one this summer for mowing lawns etc. gotta get the explorer fixed to get a new inspection first.

Ah ok, I'll just ask next time I stop by the salvage yard. I'm curious haha

apparently you can get a whole axles with springs and shackles and electric brakes for like 160 bucks in some utility catalogs, that route may also be a good option depending on how chea i could get the minivan axles

Back