Ford fluids only? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford fluids only?

Sebbie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
My 06' Explorer is up for the 60.000 mile service and my local dealership leaves a lot to be desired as far as competence. I use a local Castrol oil change shop for engine oil changes and have confidence in the service I receive. Should I let them do the diff/trans/transfer case fluid change? The manager tells me their correct fluids exceeds Ford's factory fluids and I don't think he is trying to BS me. I also have the extended factory warranty, could this cause me problems? what do you think? Thanks.

OK, after doing some more research on here I'm only going to let a transmission shop do the service on my trans. But, I'm still leaning towards letting the Castrol quick lube do the front and rear differential and transfer case fluid exchange with the correct synthetic offering.

that is a hard question to ask because you are not going to get a definite answer. In my opinion it's your car do what you want. In my case I had a problem with the rear diff in mine and it was at the dealership so I decided just to have them do all the fluids. another answer you will get is put the fluids that came in the car they where good enough from the factory. another you will get is this fluid is better than that. so its really up to you.

Btw i was quoted ~$100 for front Diff ~$90 for power steering, ~$60 for transfer case Rear Diff was included with the repair that was done i cant remember the actual price paid for each but that was what was quoted from the dealer just to let you know.

Back