Ford ranger won’t start, has spark and turns. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford ranger won’t start, has spark and turns.

92rangerjake

Reaction score
City, State
Concrete wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford ranger 2wd 2.9L
My ranger won’t run, I’ve replaced the relay, I bypassed the inertia switch and the pump works if I jump it, it just won’t prime when I turn the key.

Anyone got any ideas? I honestly have no clue at This point, it’ll run with starting fluid

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no power to the coil. usually. have you checked grounds etc? do you get a cel when you turn it on?

Welcome to this forum! The pump should prime for a few seconds when you turn on the electrical system, and when it cranks on coil pack systems. You could test it manually with a breaker bar. Turn on the electrical system, then turn the engine with a breaker bar or a ratchet. The pump should prime for a few seconds. If not, then the CPS might be defective.

Test the pressure on the rail. Just because it makes a noise doesn’t mean it’s providing any flow/pressure.

okay so it runs on starter fluid, fuel pump runs when you jumper the wires at relay
then its a fuel issue
The EEC relay must also fire up when you turn the key to RUN position do you hear it click?
the fuel pump is controlled by the pcm, through the fuse and relay as well as inertia switch

You have done a good job thus far determining it is a fuel pump issue
Now you need to find out why the pump wont run when you turn the key
First to rule out ignition switch you need to see if EEC relay is clicking when you turn key
Next try jumpering inertia switch
You should check fuel pressure at rail, should be 34-38 psi or so

Back