Ford Taurus wheels on an explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Taurus wheels on an explorer?

I was just wondering if the ford taurus has the same bolt pattern as the explorer. Would a wheel off the taurus fit on my stock truck? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes they will fit, though double check back spacing. Should be quite close to stock. I have put mustang wheels on an explorer before with great sucess. Interesting look you are going for. Are these SHO wheels? That would be cool.

Clark
(former tire shop manager)

Yeah..I want to pick up a set of those nice 5 spoke 16" chrome SHO wheels and just was checking to see that they would fit. Thanks for the info!

They may fit but are they strong enough to adequately handle the extra weight of the Explorer? Just something to think about.

What does everyone else think about the weight issue? I always thought a wheel could hold a lot more weight then an explorer, but i am not sure...

Don't forget that a Taurus is FWD and the Explorer is RWD. I doubt you will be able to fit them on the front of your Explorer because the backspace is very deep. With a FWD wheel, most of the tire/wheel is behind the mounting plate. The Explorer wheels are almost in the center. THe backspace will determine if they fit or not. You may need to buy spacers, but I don't recommend it

i wonder how that would look

might be cool if it will work keep us posted

Are you talking about the stock 5 spoke wheels on the SHO's? Or the chrome 5 spoke Borbet wheels that are common on alot of them? I like the Borbet and Team Loco 144 style.

I was thinking the stock SHO chrome 5 spoke wheels, but am not sure yet..I am just looking for cool looking 16" wheels for my explorer and was trying to see what other vehicles had the same bolt pattern as the explorer.

Hey y'all. Some very good questions. Yes they will fit, and yes the back spacing is OK. I had put some on an explorer with 31X10.50R15 tires. The weight is not a factor, unless you plan on running 35" or larger tires with a few thousand pounds of stuff in the back. The 16" fit very nicely and look great! Interestingly enough the Mustang V6 wheels are the same (mechanically) as the Taurus. The Cobra wheels have even further back spacing than the 16" Taurus. You can run spacers up to 1/2" and be very safe and by the ODOT laws. Hope this helps.

Clark91Jo

Back