Forgot Tranmission filter orings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Forgot Tranmission filter orings

REDF1SH

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
i just changed the transmission fluid on my 1994 ford explorer for the first time since purchasing it a few months ago. After driving out of the garage and into the driveway i noticed the truck was having trouble shifting from park to drive. Assuming it was something the do with the fluid change i checked my old parts and realized i forgot to replace the o rings on the filter. When i take it apart to put them on do i need to replace the brand new oil pan gasket?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The gasket is made of fiber, I thought about using adhesive, but the Haynes manual didn't call for any would you have used any?

ah, good to know, it did seem like there was a slow leak from the oil pan afterwards. That explains it.

Make sure that the bolts are tight according to their recommended torque specification. Loose bolts will leak, and bolts which are too tight will distort the gasket or strip the case. An In/LB torque wrench is the recommended tool.

Back