• Register Today It's free!

Front hitch spare tire.

Explorer718

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Limited
So I put on a front hitch from curt which was stupid easy. And I put a tire mount with my 285 duratrac on it. Before anyone gets on the soapbox about departure and approach angle this will not be on while I'm wheelin (trying not to get stuck).

PEeCVp5l.jpg

3BaZXTIl.jpg

qnHkuCzl.jpg

Li05Dwvl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems like you did a descent job, but, excluding the approach angle issue, the spare is now blocking air flow to the radiator (and possibly intake) and our weight distribution's already front biased, so I'm not really sure why you would want even more weight in the front.

I guess front-mounting the spare like that means you can still easily access your rear cargo area despite having a hitch-mounted oversized spare.

Regardless, you have a much better potential front recovery point than stock now.

Gladly I haven't seen any uptick in operating temp ie: coolant and intake temp via obd2 and torque app. Ride quality hasn't suffered either. Time will tell though.

I'm looking at it from an accident perspective.. If you hit someone with that, it's going to do a lot more damage than if you didn't have it.
That tire will push up into your grill, radiator and hood, whereas a regular front crash would hit the bumper and maybe the grill.

Nice, this is just the setup I'm looking for.

Reason - I carry a 280 lbs dirt bike on a 40 lbs hitch carrier sticking 2' out the back. I need all the counter weight up front I can get! Already removed the spare and 3rd fow seat to lighten the rear; what I really need is counter weight up front to get the steering feel back.

Nice, this is just the setup I'm looking for.

Reason - I carry a 280 lbs dirt bike on a 40 lbs hitch carrier sticking 2' out the back. I need all the counter weight up front I can get! Already removed the spare and 3rd fow seat to lighten the rear; what I really need is counter weight up front to get the steering feel back.

I carry a 207lb bike on the back of my explorer and it does just fine? Front is a little light but I can still swing the rear end around in the dirt. Maybe you need some helper springs or air shocks

I carry a 207lb bike on the back of my explorer and it does just fine? Front is a little light but I can still swing the rear end around in the dirt. Maybe you need some helper springs or air shocks

Don't get me wrong, my truck is fine as well. In fact, I'm amazed at the sturdiness of the 4th gen frame and suspension, handles the bike 10x better than my old Xterra.

I'm just picky about my handling I guess; don't want to compromise any steering feel, especially on long trips with lots of camping gear.

Helper springs and air shocks don't exist for the 4th gen. Even if it does, it won't help - they level out the truck, but don't change weight transfer. My truck does sit level, thanks to really stiff rear springs and aggressive factory rake.

Don't get me wrong, my truck is fine as well. In fact, I'm amazed at the sturdiness of the 4th gen frame and suspension, handles the bike 10x better than my old Xterra.

I'm just picky about my handling I guess; don't want to compromise any steering feel, especially on long trips with lots of camping gear.

Helper springs and air shocks don't exist for the 4th gen. Even if it does, it won't help - they level out the truck, but don't change weight transfer. My truck does sit level, thanks to really stiff rear springs and aggressive factory rake.

I hate to break it to ya but adding the spare to the front isn't really gonna help. Add a front hitch if you want, I love mine (although mine cuts theough the bumper. Doesn't hang down) but I wouldn't mount the spare up there. If you feel like rear is high enough then let it be. If the front is pushing around turns then I'd add something. Air bags. Coil spacers. What have you

I hate to break it to ya but adding the spare to the front isn't really gonna help. Add a front hitch if you want, I love mine (although mine cuts theough the bumper. Doesn't hang down) but I wouldn't mount the spare up there. If you feel like rear is high enough then let it be. If the front is pushing around turns then I'd add something. Air bags. Coil spacers. What have you

And I agree it won't change much - problem with being an engineer is I get caught up on theoretical gains.

By my calculations, a 300 lbs concentrated load at 24" past the rear bumper roughly unloads the front axle by 157 lbs. If I hang a 80 lbs concentrated load (mass average of tire + carrier + hitch) 36" past the FRONT axle, that'll recover 105 lbs. Making the NET front axle unload only 52 lbs.

Again, air bags and spaces only change the sag of a vehicle, doesn't change axle unload due to fulcrum effect.

And I agree it won't change much - problem with being an engineer is I get caught up on theoretical gains.

By my calculations, a 300 lbs concentrated load at 24" past the rear bumper roughly unloads the front axle by 157 lbs. If I hang a 80 lbs concentrated load (mass average of tire + carrier + hitch) 36" past the FRONT axle, that'll recover 105 lbs. Making the NET front axle unload only 52 lbs.

Again, air bags and spaces only change the sag of a vehicle, doesn't change axle unload due to fulcrum effect.

Hey maybe you can teach me something! Haha I'm an engineering major. :)
I understand lifting the rear won't entirely fix the issue. More or less a bandaid. But I don't see any way to really gain back any handling. Maybe I'm wrong but I think adding a spare to the front is gonna hurt you just as much as it helps. My biggest problem is leaving the pavement with the bike. KTMs sit so high my frame holding hitch carrier barely gets the wheels off the ground. Had to add some MDF board to the hitch carrier to get the bike up higher

Hey maybe you can teach me something! Haha I'm an engineering major. :)
I understand lifting the rear won't entirely fix the issue. More or less a bandaid. But I don't see any way to really gain back any handling. Maybe I'm wrong but I think adding a spare to the front is gonna hurt you just as much as it helps. My biggest problem is leaving the pavement with the bike. KTMs sit so high my frame holding hitch carrier barely gets the wheels off the ground. Had to add some MDF board to the hitch carrier to get the bike up higher

Good to know we're speaking on the safe wavelength ;)

I don't think counter-weighting the front end is going to help with "handling", only steering feel. And you're right, it may very well hurt handling from increased moment of inertia (about the Z axis). But don't think I'd be slaloming with a bike on my truck...

If you're looking for height, then air springs or Timbrens would definitely help. I find it ironic solid axle SUVs seem to be sprung softer than IRS ones (perhaps to compensate for ride quality). My old Xterra was almost on bump stops with a YZ250 and gear!

So you have a Moto mule or MX hauler style carrier? I'm looking to upgrade to one as well. Got a cheap ramp style one for now. Works okay, but if the bike is not strapped down real tight, any bumps can cause a secondary oscillation as you essentially have two suspension in series. Bike's been thrown off the carrier twice.

Good to know we're speaking on the safe wavelength ;)

I don't think counter-weighting the front end is going to help with "handling", only steering feel. And you're right, it may very well hurt handling from increased moment of inertia (about the Z axis). But don't think I'd be slaloming with a bike on my truck...

If you're looking for height, then air springs or Timbrens would definitely help. I find it ironic solid axle SUVs seem to be sprung softer than IRS ones (perhaps to compensate for ride quality). My old Xterra was almost on bump stops with a YZ250 and gear!

So you have a Moto mule or MX hauler style carrier? I'm looking to upgrade to one as well. Got a cheap ramp style one for now. Works okay, but if the bike is not strapped down real tight, any bumps can cause a secondary oscillation as you essentially have two suspension in series. Bike's been thrown off the carrier twice.

Adding the spare up front would probably help with the feel. Personally steering feel doesn't matter to much to me.
My guess for solid axle SUVs being spring softer is for flex. IRS doesn't flex anyways so might as well spring em stiff for towing. Could very well be ride quality though. Solid axles suck for comfort lol to much unsprung weight and every movement in one wheel effects the opposite wheel.
I have a mx hauler. It's ok, only paid $60 for it and that's all is pay. My old Kawi fell off a few times the KTM hasn't fallen yet I've figured out to use a tie down with the foot peg hold downs. Biggest problem is the tires hang so low. Doesn't help my hitch is angled down 1 or 2 degrees

Back