Front hubs and ABS, wrench, and traction control lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front hubs and ABS, wrench, and traction control lights

Reaction score
City, State
Menasha, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT
Hi all. 2007 explorer XLT v8. I have had a front passenger side wheel hub fail for the second time. Anyone have recommendations on brands to use? I am on a budget right now due to our furnace, ac, and water heater crapping out on me this year. I don't want junk, but do want the best lower prices value. I have looked online but have not found a ton of details on some of the companies.

On the way to work today, the ABS, Wrench, and traction control lights came on and remain solid. I just got it back from the shop where I had my front and rear struts, and front brakes (pads, calipers, and rotors replaced)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the shop might have left a sensor unplugged that informs the computer of when a wheel loses traction or locks up during hard braking. I doubt it is a serious issue. I would take it back to them and have it checked.

Sounds like the shop might have left a sensor unplugged that informs the computer of when a wheel loses traction or locks up during hard braking. I doubt it is a serious issue. I would take it back to them and have it checked.
I am taking it back tomorrow to be read. The hub is whining as well, so I have no doubt it has failed.

I am pretty sure the shop is not using Timken/Mororcraft. They get the cheapest stuff possible.

Regarding wrench lights, etc., check to make sure your MAF sensor on the air cleaner is plugged in good. Also, inspect wiring around throttle body and TPS sensors to make sure it looks in good shape and bare wires are not touching each other. Those things can cause all sorts of weird behavior. Ask me how I know!

Supposedly, Moog is also good, but if the price difference is minimal, go with Timken.

if you are really on a budget and do your own auto repairs... after you remove the failed hub and you use anti seize a replacement job can be done in less than 20-30 minutes at a slow pace so if you dont mind the work like myself I just do the $50 hubs and even if i have to replace one of them every 1-2 years the cost still doesnt make sense spending more on a hub that might still fail in 2 years.... now on the rears do not try to save money

driving a 2007 with 193k I know if i spent $400+ on 2 hubs the timing chains would get pissed off and break just out of spite

Back