Front timing chain replacement without removing engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front timing chain replacement without removing engine

Giles Guyton

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer 4.0L
Hi Guys,

The timing chain rattle on my '97 SOHC 4.0L (112000 miles) is getting louder and making me increasingly nervous, but it seems that the rattle is coming from the front of the engine so I'm hoping to only replace the front chains without removing the engine from the vehicle. Is this possible? and if so, have any of you guys already done this job and can give me a step by step list of what I need to do and any tips along the way?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Giles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, it is possible to replace the front TC cassette w/out removing the engine. I have not done this, but others here have. It's still a pretty big job. As I recall there's a difference between doing this job on the Job 1 and Job 2 engines ('97 is Job 1) that either makes the job harder or easier. I can't recall which, I think it has to do with the size of the opening in the head.

If you can get away just doing the front guide and tensioner behind the water pump then your good. If you need to do the front cassette chances are you need to do the back one.

Thanks Guys - I appreciate your feedback. Is it reasonably straightforward to get access to the front guide and tensioner?

There's a few write ups on here but it's just behind the timing cover. You have to pull the fan clutch and harmonic balancer to get to it.

It's a big job because a lot of stuff has to be removed off the front of the engine, serpentine belt, fan clutch, fan shroud, drain radiator (at that point removing the V6's radiator is easy and will give you more room to work), water pump (maybe), harmonic balancer, timing cover, driver's side valve cover (and everything in the way of it coming off), maybe unbolting the A/C compressor/power steering pump bracket. Plus you need to borrow or purchase the special tool to lock down the camshaft while the cassette is replaced. You also need to remove and replace the front chain tensioner. I've done this and getting at the tensioner isn't simple either because stuff is in the way. IIRC I removed my throttle body and the coolant temp sensor and sender to be able to get a socket on the tensioner. Removing the temp sender and sensor on the older engines usually results in coolant leaks because they screw into brass bushings in the top of the plastic t-stat housing. Later SOHC engines used a push-in style sender and sensor w/O-ring seals. A leak will require you to replace the t-stat housing, though you can upgrade to the push-in style.

Personally, IDK that I'd want to put this much effort, time and money into a '97, but that's up to you. Keep in mind you're only doing the front cassette, so there's the rear to go bad in the future. Do your research to make sure you know what's involved.

Thanks koda2000, sounds like good advise. I don't do many miles in the vehicle (only a few thousand a year) and so I'm asking around to see how big the job would be. I was considering just changing the front chain tensioner to see if that helps but don't want to risk putting the old chain under too much stress.
I might just risk leaving everything as it is.

Back