• Register Today It's free!

Fuel filler hose

ahannas

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomsburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
About four months ago my '03 explorer developed the dreaded "slow fuel fill syndrome". I disconnected the vent hose behind the mud flap area and can blow through it easily so bad venting does not seem to be the cause. I've read several threads on this subject in this forum and others but have not seen an answer to these questions.

#1. After disconnecting the filler hose at the gas tank I poked my finger into the tank and hit what felt like the tip of a plastic cone. The cone was pretty stiff and didn't want to move. Eventually it began moving inward but not smoothly. After playing with it for a few minutes it began moving in and out smoothly . I'm guessing it's some kind of spring loaded, one-way check valve. That may have been my problem - I'm not sure yet. Question - is that replaceable or only with a new fuel tank?

#2. the filler hose appears to actually be two hoses with a 20" metal hose between them. I have tried to thread a 5' piece of thin plastic tubing through the entire length from both directions. In each case it stops at this metal part of the hose. Question - Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Alan

Back