Fuel Filler Hose | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filler Hose

flameo13445

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
Just recently I was pumping gas and instead of stopping when it was full, the gas proceeded to pour of the return hose because the fuel filler neck had rusted out. I purchased a new neck to install but realized I would need to replace both fuel filler hoses because to get them off they will break. The only problem is I don't know where to get them. Ive searched all over the place and nowhere sells specific ones for the first gen explorer. All I could find were for second gens. I was thinking about just ordering straight hose but I'm not entirely sure of the sizes and the current ones have some slight angles on them so I'm not sure if just a straight hose would work. Any help as to what I should use or where I can get new fuel filler hoses for my 1994 Ford Explorer XLT would be much appreciated. Thank You.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2nd gen hose may work if that's all you can find, but I don't know that for a fact. At worst we should be able to buy some gas-safe hose and cut it to fit. Hot rod guys do it with custom hoses, so I'm sure we can, too. I am about to change mine, but I have not looked into it yet.

Here's a link I just found. Dayco makes good stuff. We have a Fisher Auto Parts that carries Dayco:
http://www.daycoproducts.com/dayco®-fuel-filler-hose

Gates Rubber is also a possibility. Gates is good too but expensive:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/239...MI9LWGntnK1QIVWbXACh0zhQUeEAQYAyABEgI9cvD_BwE

Another, flexible Gates hose:
http://www.fillernecksupply.com/gat...MI9LWGntnK1QIVWbXACh0zhQUeEAQYBCABEgJ_8fD_BwE

The fuel filler hose for the first gens are hard to find. I'm not sure if another manufacturer made them. The problem is that they are a different diameter hose at both ends, at least for the main hose. Not sure if the vapor hose is tapered as well. You might try either the service dept at a Ford dealer and pray they have an NOS one laying in a warehouse somewhere or perhaps you could look into whether or not the hose for the 2nd gens would work. If you manage to find a hose for a first gen, pay whatever they're charging. They're rare.

Another option is to try the salvage yard and seek out one in decent condition. Just be careful removing it. I destroyed my old hose when I removed it

I looked into it and the second gen hoses are different sizes so they won't work. I'm honestly going to see if I can get the main hose off without breaking it so I don't have to replace that one. The return hose is tapered as well I believe but I'm sure I can just maybe get some hose that's the size of the ends the whole way. The joys of having a rare car.

I have now completely removed my truck's fuel filler hose, filler neck, and vent hose, so I can comment on this again now and hopefully it will help the OP find a solution that works for him/her...

The fuel filler hose for the first gens are hard to find. I'm not sure if another manufacturer made them. The problem is that they are a different diameter hose at both ends, at least for the main hose.

While this is true (2" ID at the filler neck end, and 1 1/2" at the tank end), if I destroyed my filler tube today, I would not hesitate to buy tube and install a reducer sold at the link I posted above, at Filler Neck Supply Co. -- or splurge and get the Gates Rubber hoses.

Not sure if the vapor hose is tapered as well.

It is not tapered, at least on my truck (5/8" ID on both ends). so this one would be easy. Atwood Marine, for example, sells 5/8" ID vent hose here:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Attw...EAQYBCABEgLxm_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#BVQAWidgetID

...and I figure if their vent hose can stand up to marine environments, it HAS to be tough enough for us.

Another option is to try the salvage yard and seek out one in decent condition. Just be careful removing it. I destroyed my old hose when I removed it

I used a heat gun to soften the rubber juuuust enough to remove it without destroying it.

I will admit that my truck's 23 year old fill hose is getting brittle, but I've decided to clean it up and reinstall it, at least for now. Soft brush, cleaner/degreaser cut with water, and elbow grease. Followed by numerous rubdowns with 303 Aerospace Protectant (good stuff). The rubber is coming back a little. I'm gradually giving the old Explorer the TLC it could not get, when I had to drive it every day (2000-2013). I should have done this fuel system repair/revitalize years ago.

Thanks for the info, Rhett. Good to know that there are other options outside of buying OEM or finding a used junker. I wasn't aware of reducers like that. I've found some rubber hoses on mine that are restorable, like what you are doing with your filler hose.

Back