Fuse Box - Radar Detector | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuse Box - Radar Detector

Wife just picked up a 2013 Explorer Limited, I was looking to see fi there was a plug in the back of the mirror and unfortunately it's not wired but there is this HUGE plastic housing that houses some sensors and other electronic doohickies.

Is there a way to undo this housing to see if i can use the V1's invisicord to tap into a harness? I dont want to have to run the wire along the headliner down the A Pillar to the fuse box if I dont have to.

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wife just picked up a 2013 Explorer Limited, I was looking to see fi there was a plug in the back of the mirror and unfortunately it's not wired but there is this HUGE plastic housing that houses some sensors and other electronic doohickies.

Is there a way to undo this housing to see if i can use the V1's invisicord to tap into a harness? I dont want to have to run the wire along the headliner down the A Pillar to the fuse box if I dont have to.

TIA
Welcome to the Forum foofighter.:wavey:
I don't know if I'd suggest fooling around with that mirror. I know the mirror contains the sensor for the 'rain sensing wipers' and quite possibly also sensors for the auto dimming headlights and lane keeping feature. I don't have the latter two items so I'm only guessing.
Opening that up to add anything could also affect the warranty on those features should you have problems with them down the road.

Peter

Thanks @peterk9, she has the full bells and whistle package w/ the lane departure auto high beam (which i find very distracting in urban driving).

Looks like i'll have to tap into the fuse box then...any suggestion on which terminal?

Thanks @peterk9, she has the full bells and whistle package w/ the lane departure auto high beam (which i find very distracting in urban driving).

Looks like i'll have to tap into the fuse box then...any suggestion on which terminal?
I haven't accessed the fuse box on mine and given its location and my size, I likely never will. There is a layout of the fuse box in the Owner's Guide and it shows a few locations as Spares, Not Used.
Perhaps some other members may have ideas for you. I don't know if you can tap into the front reading lights or not.

Peter

I ran mine to the lighter in the compartment in front of the shifter. There is a little door that you can pop out, and then run the wire under the dash and up the a pillar molding, under the headliner and to the spot where I mounted it next to the mirror. Only drawback is it is always on as the lighter doesn't switch off with the car off.

I have the my v1 hooked up to the rearview mirror and no issue's with wipper nor any other thing, i have a 2011 ltd 302a pkg and just pluged right into the morrir back plug .

Newport this package i forgot what it was but it's got the lane departure and active cruise there are no harness going to the back of the rear view like on my Flex and i dont want to try and open up the case that houses the sensors...that blendmount btw is gorgeous and we bought that mirror tap and used it on her old Odyssey previously and worked like a charm

EDIT: I think i will go through the overhead lighting/sunroof panel and tap into the sunroof tilt/slide switch. question is, is it difficult to remove that overhead panel

Back