Glass mounting questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Glass mounting questions...

I had a small water leak coming in at the top of the driver's side rear quarter glass. (fixed glass in the cargo area) I was able to stop it by tightening the nuts on the back of the glass frame a bit. Here are my questions:

How tight should those nuts be? I just tightened them until they were firm, but I don't want to have the glass crack over time, or shatter at the first bump in the road.

If the leak comes back, what materials would I need to remove the glass and re-seal it? I assume the outside trim is not re-usable, based on the way it is attached.

Thanks.

They are held in by the studs and nuts that go thru the pinchweld of the body. To R&R the window all you do is remove the nuts and from the inside you *should* be able to push it off the body. Have somebody on the outside to keep it from falling. The factory uses a butyl sealer to seal the glass unit to the body. Essentially butyl is like bubble gum. It comes in a roll and stays "soft" unlike urethane.

Once you remove the window. Peel off any butly still on the unit and the body. Clean the body and window with glass cleaner or something like that to remove dirt,mud, etc.

Apply the butyl to the window frame, overlap the butts and put them on the bottom so they have less chance to leak.

Position the window onto the body so the studs go into the holes. Give it a firm press.

Start the nuts and lightly snug them all. Go back around and tighten them a little more. Use a pattern like when tightening lug nuts for example. If you tighten them too much you will snap the stud off.

FYI: I've seen butyl tape at autozone and advanced. If you ask them for butyl tape they will probably look at you like you are stoned. Ask for "windshield sealer". Even though thats not what it's for, thats what it's labled as. One roll should be plenty for a Q/G.

Good luck! Any questions let me know.

That's what I needed to know. I'm hoping I won't have to do all that, but it doesn't sound to difficult.

Thanks again.

No problem!

It's a easy half hour job with a beer break mixed in. :D

Not a difficult task at all.
Jay is pretty knowldegable. He hit the nail on the head.
FYI the studs that hold the glass on DO NOT pennatrate the glass. They are attached to a fiberglass frame that is bonded to the glass. Meaning you can put a good bit of force on them with out risk of breaking the glass. Just make sure you tighten things evenly.

Back