got lucky! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

got lucky!

Reaction score
City, State
Woodridge, Manitoba, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
Friday on my 35min drive to work.... my tranny was acting up, so I pulled over to run it through all the gears. Aftar backing up a few feet i noticed a puddle. did it again, another puddle. I was like 'what the **** now?" Antifreeze all over the highway and my temp guage was well in the red. Yikes! Now what. I am like 15min from home and at least 5 min from the next town. No water in the truck :(.....hmmm. Let it cool down for 20min, turns out there was a park bout 2 min away. made it there and filled rad with water and that took me til town. Lucky for me, my dad was a machanic for many years. he checked it out and all it was was the block heater leaking. Whew! $25 part, free labour and viola, back up and running great. He said, if I would have drove to town I would be shopping for a new motor. Lucky my tranny was acting up. Oh yeah, tranny isn't acting up now neither.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

coolness... you did get lucky.... get the tranny looked at soon though.... some acting up may lead to an underlying problem that may surface when you least expect it

A failed engine block heater causing a coolant leak is not too uncommon a problem.

Glad you got it fixed.

these trucks have block heaters? or is that just canadda?

i'm from canada eh!

Originally posted by Muskrat
these trucks have block heaters? or is that just canadda?

It's a factory option. Many dealers up North order all their vehicles with block heaters.

Back