Grinding Noise from Transfer Case/Front Differential | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grinding Noise from Transfer Case/Front Differential

fhsredcats06

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
1999 XLT AWD 5.0

Recently I experienced a metallic grinding noise coming from either the Transfer Case or the Front Differential/U-Joints.

We took apart the u-joint connecting the drive shaft to the front differential to see if we could determine the exact location of the noises.

After being unsuccessful with this, we reassembled the u-joint as it was before.

The grinding noise went away and hasn't returned in the past 10 days.

Has anybody experienced something similar to this or know what the problem may be?

this happened to me yesterday actually and it was only for a few seconds and then it stopped and i haven't heard it since, it was a fairly loud grinding noise coming from the front half of the car. I have a 97 sport. I have yet to determine the cause. here in Connecticut it just snowed and last year i had snow pile up in the front wheel well and it made a similar grinding noise till it fell off and I thought this might have been the culprit this time too, however I did not check for snow build up so I don't know.

Update

This is really late but it ended up being the front driveshaft. The bearing close to the t-case was shot. Replaced it with a junkyard shaft.

Even later, but similar issues with a 05 4WD... Think it could be same diag? Mine is a bit different, as soon as you hit the 4x4 button, it grinds/whines. Recently it has started to make noise when just driving. It does have a slow leake (more like seepage) from the rear of the forward xfr case... Where the driveshaft goes in.

Back