Growling from front end 99 Eddie Bauer with auto 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DoubleXploder

Reaction score
City, State
Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 99 EB Explorer with a growling noise coming from the front end, I took the pass tire off to check the wheel bearing and the wheel bearing seems to be fine didn't have any wiggle when I jacked it up, from the posts I've seen possibly related to the cv, or transfer case.
The best way I can explain the growling noise is I had an exhaust leak recently fixed, and it sounds similar to a bad exhaust leak, or mud tires on the highway, the noise goes away when on the highway and the road curves left, doesn't change noise turning right down the highway. I want to get some ideas of what I'm looking at before throwing money at stuff and it doesn't fix the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

Inspect the CV boots. If they aren't leaking, I'd suspect CVs less and proceed to check/change the transfer case fluid if hasn't been done recently and look at the fluid to see if it's mud or has metal flecks in it.

How many miles on the bearings? Sound disappearing/getting worse in a high speed curve or lane change is indicative of bearings

Also, how many miles are on the tires? When were they last rotated and balanced?

I’ve been sure I had a bad bearing or CV axle, only to rotate the tires and have the noise move

Welcome to the forum!

Inspect the CV boots. If they aren't leaking, I'd suspect CVs less and proceed to check/change the transfer case fluid if hasn't been done recently and look at the fluid to see if it's mud or has metal flecks in it.
I will definitely check that out, when I had it jacked up I did notice some fluid on the bottom front of the transfer case.

Tale tale sign of a bad unit bearing is the growling changes when you add a side load, ie going straight then a sudden left, back to straigh, sudden right.
The factory wheel bearings last about 150-200k miles.
Use quality parts to replace them or you will be doing it again soon

It is hard to detect looseness in the bearing

If you suspect front d shaft or r case simply remove front d shaft and go for a test drive

Cv axles typically click when making tight turns

Growling noise is usually wheel bearings

Back