Hazard lights not working

tjsxplodr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
So i am trying to figure out why i have intermittent brake lights working on and off. Apparently my hazards arent working at all. All my other lighting works. Replaced the brake light switch, and its still doing the same thing. One side will work then both sides then the other side....very annoying. Replaced all the bulbs. Is there something in the steering column that could be causing this?

From a diagram, for the hazards, it looks like power comes from a fuse and is sitting at the flasher waiting for the hazard switch to be switched on. From there, power goes through some contacts on the hazard and the turn signal switch, then out to the lights.

I'd say try a Hazard flasher first (It's different than the turn signal flasher - and it's cheap), then look at possibly replacing a hazard and then the turn signal switch. To be sure, you could do some wiring checks, but that would be difficult to describe here.

Of course, this is assuming all your wiring is good. If you have a trailer wiring harness at the rear bumper, check that to be sure you don't have something open or shorted. There are a lot of opportunities for damage or corrosion back there.

Ok ill try those first, thanks.

Back