headers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

headers

Reaction score
City, State
brooklyn ,new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 mountaineer 5.0
Am looking to put headers on my 97 5.0 awd. I know that no one makes headers to fit my x, but am wondering if I can use a 5.0 stang header an my x. So does anyone know what year stang header would fit my x?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you are out of luck because FMS disconinued the header for that year. the best you can do is get a set of aluminum heads and use the older style FMS headers or try one of the conversion companys for 5.0 rangers.

last time I checked Steeda still had some headers for the 97-98 V8

Be carefull of headders. Unless you have a lot of engine mods, it might not give you enough back pressure, and make performance worse. Just a thought.

Andy

a premium exhaust shop could custom fab a set for you but it would be in $750 - $1000 range. i talked to my shop about this and he said it was possible the parts wouldnt be so bad it would be the fabbing of the plate to adapt to the exhaust ports. that price was based on the "possibility" not a guarantee.

its beyond my wallet's depth.

See if you can hunt down a set of the Ford Motorsport headers. I put 'em on my '96, and there's a world of difference. Even though they're not the greatest design, the stock "headers" are SO bad that there's only room for improvement. Lack of back pressure will not be ap problem; two sets of cats assure that.

Pete

Count me in for aset of headers! I haven't be able to find any ready made headers to fit my x.

Back