Heater/AC Blower Speeds Are Too Low | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater/AC Blower Speeds Are Too Low

MotoDan

Reaction score
City, State
Chesterfield, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Hello all,

I thought I would share my recent experience with low blower speeds on my '02 Explorer XLT. I've noticed for quite some time that the first three blower speeds have seemed too low and have suspected the resistor module. Today I measured the resistances and did not find any open circuits as some have reported. The blower runs on all settings, but just much slower than normal - except for High which bypasses the resistors and runs the blower motor at full 12V.

My resistor module measured in the 1-6 ohm range, depending on which pins were probed. Suspecting that theses readings were too high, I made a trip to Autozone and asked if I could measure a new module. Sure enough, the new module measured in the sub-ohm range. I decided to replace the resistor module. Wow! What a difference it made. Now I have normal blower speeds.

So it appears that the PCB trace type of resistors do increase in value over time. Another issue is when corrosion occurs on the PCB which can also increase resistance.

Hope this helps anyone who has a similar problem with their blower speeds.

Happy Holidays!
MotoDan

Back